Dispatch listing detail vs. regular listings

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Dispatch listing detail vs. regular listings

Post by aubreyz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:00 am

Quote:I don't have Dispatch but I noticed from posts about the listings that the descriptions are way more detailed than the regular listings. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems much easier to tailor the pitch to the listing with this information and I wonder why the regular listings aren't written with as much detail. Nomi,As this question was in a long thread that had wandered into several different areas already, I thought it best to post it in a new thread.From my experience, the reason that there seems to be more detail in Dispatch listings has to do with the nature of work requested. The Dispatch listings usually have tight deadlines and are very specific about the type of song needed. If a producer is looking for a track for a project already in production, then they often need something to match what is already there or what has been storyboarded or scripted for. They might have a song temped in that is a certain style, tempo and or lyrical theme and make a request based on that. If a music library is needing tracks in a hurry, then it too is often a more specific need. The general listings are often broader because the need is broader, and so there aren't as many specifics. General listings like-- music library needs (insert style) tracks, will by nature be more generic because they are looking for a wider range of material. I have noticed some general listings are just as detailed as Dispatch listings though. (Like songs for a particular style of artist for an album project).So it's not just the deadline that makes the difference, but it seems that the more specific requests do tend to have a tighter deadline and so become Dispatch listings. Taxi posted a while back that they provide the same kind of detail they receive from the client.Aub

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Dispatch listing detail vs. regular listings

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:43 am

Quote:Quote:I don't have Dispatch but I noticed from posts about the listings that the descriptions are way more detailed than the regular listings. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems much easier to tailor the pitch to the listing with this information and I wonder why the regular listings aren't written with as much detail. Nomi,As this question was in a long thread that had wandered into several different areas already, I thought it best to post it in a new thread.From my experience, the reason that there seems to be more detail in Dispatch listings has to do with the nature of work requested. The Dispatch listings usually have tight deadlines and are very specific about the type of song needed. If a producer is looking for a track for a project already in production, then they often need something to match what is already there or what has been storyboarded or scripted for. They might have a song temped in that is a certain style, tempo and or lyrical theme and make a request based on that. If a music library is needing tracks in a hurry, then it too is often a more specific need. The general listings are often broader because the need is broader, and so there aren't as many specifics. General listings like-- music library needs (insert style) tracks, will by nature be more generic because they are looking for a wider range of material. I have noticed some general listings are just as detailed as Dispatch listings though. (Like songs for a particular style of artist for an album project).So it's not just the deadline that makes the difference, but it seems that the more specific requests do tend to have a tighter deadline and so become Dispatch listings. Taxi posted a while back that they provide the same kind of detail they receive from the client.Aub Very organized of you to start a new thread in the dispatch forum, Aub (sure you don't work for taxi?).Are there generally more forwards and contracts in Dispatch?

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:08 pm

Quote:Very organized of you to start a new thread in the dispatch forum, Aub (sure you don't work for taxi?).Are there generally more forwards and contracts in Dispatch?Shoot. You caught me. All this music placement stuff is just a ruse. My secret desire is to become a Taxi Screener Seriously, I don't know about "generally" but my forwards have been more dispatch, but then again I have been more serious about the dispatch listings and many of my regular listing submissions were more to test the waters and get critiques. IMHO the main difference between the two types of listings is that Dispatch seems to be more for those who either have an extensive, diverse catalog or the resources to produce broadcast quality material in a matter of days.Aub

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:00 pm

That answers my question in another thread, aub. Thanks so much. I was feelin' really low that I haven't had great luck at dispatch but since I don't have a home studio and I haven't yet got a large catalog, no wonder. I was really feelin' blue but I feel betta now after reading your reply. Thanks much!Hopehttp://www.getnitahope.com/music.html

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Yeah, I don't have the catalog because most of my new writing is targeted to whatever project I'm on at the time. So, if I'm pitching on a Dispatch listing, I'm going to be writing it specifically for it. Though, if I get returned, I guess I get "catalog"... heh heh.

taxijon

Post by taxijon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Nomi,From our end there are more forwards and more deals being made through dispatch per capita. We don't quite know why though. Whether it's that the quality of submissions are higher or that these companies are a bit more desperate to find something and are more willing to choose something that not the absolute most perfect thing, we don't know. It's probably a mixture of both.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Quote:Hi Nomi,From our end there are more forwards and more deals being made through dispatch per capita. We don't quite know why though. Whether it's that the quality of submissions are higher or that these companies are a bit more desperate to find something and are more willing to choose something that not the absolute most perfect thing, we don't know. It's probably a mixture of both. Thanks for the info. I've noticed that the Dispatch listings are MUCH more detailed about what the client needs. Maybe this adds to the higher success rate since it lets members target their pitches better.

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:37 am

I think it's probably also because by the time a client turns to Dispatch, versus long length of time, they're pretty darn clear on what they're looking for and are close to making a decision because of their own deadlines. I'm sure on regular listings with longer submission periods, they might be less pressed to make a decision. In some cases it seems as if the client may be just putting feelers out in a general area to see if there is something new they might nab through Taxi. You never know...