My first forward...

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

michaeldean
Active
Active

My first forward...

Post by michaeldean » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi all,Just registered on the boards and thought I'd spend my first post telling y'all about my first forward...I'm pretty jazzed, as I really expected it to take longer (it was my second submission).Here's the listing:The Director of A&R/Creative at one of the largest Publishers in the world is seeking amazing, very current-sounding ADULT CONTEMPORARY-POP SONGS for a huge Female artist a la CELINE DION. Gentle, intimate songs are OK as is more up-tempo, energetic, dramatic material. Great hooks, solid lyrics, memorable melodies - all are essential. We'll be very selective with this one as they're only seeking hit songs. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Aug. 17, 2007. TAXI # S070817ACHere's a link to the song (hope it works):http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... stream=1Of course I'm not going to put a lot of emotional eggs into this basket - I realize a forward is only the musical equivalent of handing your business card to a potential customer, but I'm particularly gratified about 2 things:1. I was scramblng to meet the deadline on this listing, so I opted to go with a "Band in a box" backing track with a couple of real guitar tracks over the top. Hardly a "broadcast quality" version of the song, and it still got forwarded (with mostly "7's" for technical marks).2. I'm particularly gratified & encouraged by that bit in the listing about "We'll be very selective with this one as they're only seeking hit songs". Obviously, someone in a position to know thinks this has the potential to be a hit song! I can't tell you how validating that is to my whole musical existence! That, right there, is well worth the price of admission!I've been a TAXI member for 10 years now and I've only just now gotten my writing, my studio, and my life to the point where I'm ready to begin seriously demo-ing and submitting songs (I did submit one time at the very beginning - so I guess this was really my third submission).Anyway, this forward tells me that all of that time and effort weren't wasted after all... Man, that's a beautiful feeling!!!
"Do or do not. There is no 'try'" - Yoda

michaeldean
Active
Active

Re: My first forward...

Post by michaeldean » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Well, the link doesn't seem to be working (at least for me...).It looks to be formatted exactly like some others that work... Hmmm.Anyone have any advice in this regard?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:11 am

Quote:Well, the link doesn't seem to be working (at least for me...).It looks to be formatted exactly like some others that work... Hmmm.Anyone have any advice in this regard?COngrats on the forward!! You didn't need broadcast quality for this particular listing as it's a song pitch. What you need is a great song, which they obviously feel you have!Is this your Taxi page?http://www.taxi.com/michaeldeanIf so, there's no song there. Sign in and go to 'my music' and then click on 'edit' next to the song, and make sure there's a tick in the 'public' box. Look forward to hearing it!cheersHummin'bird PS - whenever I'm writing something for the web I do it in my word processor & save regularly. Then I just copy and paste it to my site.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 am

Quote:Just registered on the boards and thought I'd spend my first post telling y'all about my first forward...We had a long discussion about this listing in another thread. As many pointed out, the bar for this kind of thing is sky high - very difficult to get a forward, a lot different than getting a forward to a music library or something like that.I like your description of a forward. It's a realistic description. It allows for a hint of hope but isn't something that would keep one standing still waiting for a result.Would love to hear the track once you get the logistics of making the song publicly available worked out.Congratulations! Dave

michaeldean
Active
Active

Post by michaeldean » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:19 am

Hey, thanks a bunch for the tip, Hummingbird - it should be working now. Duh! (whacking forehead on desk...). I knew one of you would have the answer. Oh well, it was late at night...Yes, I know I didn't need broadcast quality for this listing - just was pleasantly surprised that the screener knew that too! She (?) gave me all 7's & 8's (mostly 7's for technical and 8's for artistic) so I didn't exactly blow the roof off, but she did say that it was "on target" for the listing.Proves the point, I guess, about targeting pitches: You can get all 10's and not get forwarded if it's not on target, and it can be less than stellar and still get forwarded if it's on the money for the listing.As for the word processor thing... (more whacking on desk). Yes, that's what most intelligent people would have done (I exempt myself from that group), but I hadn't really planned on doing the bio when I went there - just sort of got into it, I guess. Still, at the very least, I would expect some kind of prompt to let me know that my login was about to time out (grrrr).Anyway, thanks to both of you for listening (or trying to). Hope you have a chance to hear it now...

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:04 pm

Very interesting!Could you post the lyrics please, Michael?steve

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:55 pm

These are great Celine style lyrics. I just learned a new lesson abut targetting the listing, from listening to your demo.thanks Michael

michaeldean
Active
Active

Post by michaeldean » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Thank you, Steve!

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:03 am

Whoa, these are my favorite stories on these threads. Way to go, Michael. Keep it up and soon Laskow will be telling every TAXI member about what a success story you are.Congrats on your hard work, and the forward to such a potentially huge listing.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 pm

AWESOME!!!!! What a great story and song to boot! Love it.Charlie