Thinking about joining - how many members?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

composer

Thinking about joining - how many members?

Post by composer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Okay, this may seem dumb but how many members would you say TAXI has? You can't go by the forum as a friend of mine is a taxi member and she uses some sort of express service too (something like where the music sup needs music right away) in addition to the regular listing and she never ever posts on the forums and has had her music placed.So how many members does taxi have? Anyone know? Do they state anywhere? Anyone want to guess? I just want to know as I am very curious how large we are and with all the success she has had, well, I just want to know! I would think it would be something they are proud of anyway!Thanks

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Thinking about joining - how many members?

Post by gitarrero » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 am

hi composer,the "express service" is called dispatch listingas for the members: I don't know, and I don't care - it hasn't a influence on forwards/placements, so why bother as a member?cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:33 am

Quote:hi composer,the "express service" is called dispatch listingas for the members: I don't know, and I don't care - it hasn't a influence on forwards/placements, so why bother as a member?cheers,martinMaybe it's my imagination but I thought Taxi had ten to twelve thousand members and IMO I would have thought that has to have an effect on forwards and placements quite simply because of the sheer volume of competition.

taxijon

Post by taxijon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:02 am

Hi Composer,TAXI currently has something between 11,000 and 12,000members. Like Gitarrero stated, It has no bearing on the amount of forwards we send on. You are not competing with other TAXI members. We send whatever fits the listing. If you have any other questions feel free to give us a ring at 818-222-2464

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:17 am

I'll only add that though11,000 sounds like a lot.... the population of the US and Canada is about 490 million, and Europe has another 4 or 500 million..... don't count out Australia if you write tunes in English, and they love country music..... overall, the worldwide audience is 6.3 billion.... and for the most part, the majority has the two ears they were born with.... and if you count the animal populations (even though they don't but music.... and there are fewer everyday)..... there has got to be 30 billion ears in the world to reach.... if you start counting the lateral lines on fish and antenae on insects as additional lifeform auditory sensors...... you are talking about trillions..... ( of course the PRO only pays for performances heard by humans.....)(Ok .... that's enough out of me for a day...)ArkJack

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 am

TAXI has about 12,000 members in something like 130 countries around the world. But it's a VERY common misconception that the larger the membership gets, the more competition there is. If they find 52 songs to forward, then all 52 are forwarded. When I worked there, I remember Michael would get a little frustrated that people assumed there was a quota, but there wasn't. There's not a case of, "Oh, this is really perfect, but we've already forwarded 16 songs and we can't send the 17th."I think they get one or two cases a year when the listing company asks for a quota, but that was literally once or twice a year out of a thousand listings. Also, some listings might bring 672 submissions, and others might bring in only 5, so it's not like all 12,000 members are pitching at the same listings all the time, anyway.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:53 am

Is 672 the record or something? What is the record? Does anyone know?

taxijon

Post by taxijon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:06 pm

I don't know the record for submissions. Not sure if anyone does. Some recent listings easily broke the 1000 level. That's probably on the extreme side of things. I've also seen listings with 5 submissions total. Normally the super niche listings get those low numbers, something like death metal songs about fluffy rabbits. Normally the more seductive the listing is the more we get.