Forward as an Artist

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

brettfiction

Forward as an Artist

Post by brettfiction » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey EveryoneI can understand that there can be some long lead times on forwards to publishing libraries etc. as their needs might not be urgent - they could pitch the song in a years time for a tv show etc. But I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on artist forwards? My intuition would say that they wouldn't wait six months before contacting you if they liked what they hear... any thoughts?

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Forward as an Artist

Post by ddusty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 am

Let's just say that i hope the lead time is pretty long..... Since we have yet to hear from any of our Artist forwards

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Not a word here either. Sorry. (apparently, for us all! LOL)

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Well...remember labels are always looking for new artists. That doesn't mean they're desperate to sign somebody ASAP. Not these days, that's for sure... A&R folks have lots of duties, and listening to music trying to find new artists is a relatively small part of their daily routine. So it's quite possible that they could get music forwarded to them from Taxi and not have time to listen to it for quite a while...Once they do listen, unless they are absolutely BLOWN AWAY by what they hear, they probably wouldn't contact you right away. They'd be more likely to go to your website and check out what's there. Check your live show schedule, what you have in the way of press coverage. Look at a few more pix there. Maybe pull up Soundscan and see if you're moving any units. If they're still interested after all that, then they might give you a call. Or perhaps just put you on their "acts to watch" list and check back in on your website 6 months later.I think before the advent of the internet and artist websites, artists actually got called a lot quicker, and they would get asked all those questions over the phone. Now there's so much research an A&R person can do on you without you ever knowing about it... matto

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 pm

They're watching us, lol!! Well, okay, maybe not. I'm too old for them anyway. But how creepy is that?