Re: Do you get 10's in your critiques?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun May 20, 2007 12:18 pm

I think someone got all 10's recently and was not forwarded, which seems impossible, so maybe I am mis-remembering. Marketability is one of the rated categories. How could a song rate a 10 on marketability and not get forwarded when everything else is apparently perfect too?Someone else probably remembers the details of this incident better than I do.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun May 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Quote:I think someone got all 10's recently and was not forwarded, which seems impossibleNot impossible at all... send the most smokin' hot Country track for the Opera listing and see what happens.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun May 20, 2007 12:30 pm

Quote:This is not a post about my forwards specifically. How often do you get 10's on your posts? Is that a once a year phenom, or do some of you more seasoned folks get 10's regularly in the evaluation of your submissions?Never.Average is probably 8 with more 7's than 9's.

oneeyewillie
Impressive
Impressive

Post by oneeyewillie » Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 am

I got some 10's once...on a couple of my celtic songs...I'd post it but Broadjam won't give `em back tae me...

keystevens

Post by keystevens » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:43 pm

Majority of mine are 7's and a few six's here and there. I got an eight on vocals that was cool, especially on my first song.Matt

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:53 am

I've gotten a bunch of tens, but I've also gotten 6,7,8 for the same songs depending on the listing. I would hazard a guess that my average is roughly 8, but like Dave, it's probably leaning slightly more towards 7 than 9. Let's say... 7.8888443233 roughly. I once got 10's across the board, but I know for a fact that this song is not as well produced as others that people are sending in. It was one of my earlier productions, and (although I'm no pro yet) it was somewhat lacking in the mix and frequency balance. But from the comments, the reviewer liked the song so much that he looked past that and just starting clicking 10 uncontrollably. So I think if (at least in this case) the scorer actually loves a song, the other scores given are going to be consciously or subconsciously weighted by this. And if it's late in the day for him/her, perhaps unconsciously

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:27 am

Has anyone gotten a10 on marketability? That seems like it would be a sure forward.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Unless it's an awesome Rap song for a country listing but then, I seem to remember a song called "White boy with a feather"
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:58 am

Quote:SteveI didn't quote your last post in this reply- I kept running out of disk space... Lighten up, my (not yet) friend... I hope you can tell from my posts that I was never serious & don't you think you are taking this bad review a little to hard? The only reason I even posted about my feedback was, albeit self-serving, that I noticed there was a lot on target in what I said-- the music needed energy to match the lyrics. I'm guilty of gloating there... I also mentioned what happened to me with a song for which I did lyrics and someone else did music- I got trashed.... So, I've been there.You know you have to have very thick skin in this business. And you have the writing and studio skills to start over on this one as well as the good fortune of working with the words from one of the best lyricists around these parts. So, take a deep breath and focus that energy on the next version! CaseyP.S. Just as an aside regarding the songs I sent you... [and yes there is some hindsight here, now that I saw your review]. Genre is irrelevant when it comes to matching the energy of lyrics and music. "Night" by Bruce and "Ju Ju Man" by Dave Edmunds were examples of the energy. In "Night", Bruce, as he often does, sings about racing cars, etc. "Ju Ju Man" is a country rocker with tons of energy. Every time I read "Donuts in the parking lot", I think of his "Falling in love again" chorus--similar phrases in terms of how they fit music. Download "Ju Ju Man" and visualize "Donuts" like that, I think... And yes, I don't know much about country music, no denying that at all! Umm, didn't you mean to post this in the 'Anything Less Than a 6 Thread?' Steve has made all this quite clear to me:1. I am not his friend, but I am good for a one night two hour critiquing marathon stand. I feel soooooooo used. 2. I don't have cajones....okay, some days I do. 3. If you are over the top NICE, you might be Canadian, but if you're a shit, you could be Algerian. If you're just a plain old jerk, well, you possibly could be from Paducah, Kentucky.4. He is not upset that he got a five for his melody, but I was damned postal when I got a 4 on my lyrics! But I had some Cheesecake Factory "Raspberry White Chocolate Truffle" last night to soothe myself, so I feel better. However, when I checked the scale this morning I weighed 6.4 pounds more than I did the day before, so I am postal again. I also can't get into that new thong bathing suit I purchased last week. Then again, there should be a law against that. 5. I need to get off this computer and write songs, but the Obsessive Compulsive Order Clinic is closed today.6. Objects in the mirror are smaller than they appear, especially when really bad TAXI screeners are driving the car.Over and out.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:16 am

I moved my post... oops, wrong thread.