At the Mercy of the Enemy

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

couchgrouch
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

At the Mercy of the Enemy

Post by couchgrouch » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:52 am

At the Mercy of the EnemyHe drove straight through from his home in LAsad mirages filled his windshield all the wayit had been thirty years since he'd last seenthat brave corporal with blood on his M-16lotsa vets returned feeling useless and alonesome wondered why they went, some why they came homefaceless foes in the jungles at nightbecame shadows in their hearts they'd always fightthey were still at the mercy of the enemyat the mercy of the enemyhe pulled into that quiet southern townlocals watched him do some askin' aroundhe got directions to the VFW Halland as he drove there he still saw it allCorporal Smith's squad was pinned down facing defeatbut for them death was the only retreatthey rushed the lines and took 'em by surprisethat night Corporal Smith saw fear in his prisoner's eyesthey were at the mercy of the enemyat the mercy of the enemythe stranger entered the Hall and drew some staresput out his hand when he saw Smith sitting therehe said, "sir, I was taken from my hut at dawnand forced to fight for the Viet Congthough your friend's blood must've been hard to forgiveI've never forgotten the night you let me live"Smith sat there stunned then slowly stuck out his handthey both cried together cos fin'lly neither manwas at the mercy of the enemyat the mercy of the enemy(c)2004 Robert George