At This Stage in My Life

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

couchgrouch
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

At This Stage in My Life

Post by couchgrouch » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:04 am

At This Stage in My LifeI carry in my Gibson...the bouncer gets my gearI keep ten bucks a song less what I owe for beerwhen I started out I hit the road to sing my hitsthen I hit the bottle when the number ones quitI broke the bank and somehow still wound up brokeso now I'm back to singing for break-even folkI climb the steps...tip my hat and pat my guitarwhere neon makes moonshine has-beens glow like starsbut at this stage of my lifeI'm just happy to have somewhere to standand at this stage of my lifesomeplace to sing is tomorrow's planwhen the cash flow dried up my band left one by onetill my bootheel on the hardwood became my bass drumblue notes cast black shadows where my fiddler once stoodthe pills he took to stay awake put him to sleep for goodnow it's just me up here naked behind my songstaking my dreams all the way took me back where I belongthough I stand looking down on crowds in the darkto reach them my songs must look them in the heartand at this stage of my lifeall those faces just see a common manand at this stage of my lifesomeplace to sing is tomorrow's planI've punched crooked lawyers...left greedy wives on bad termsso I know hell is where old bridges go to burnI've heard less is more and everything's never enoughbut nothing's just what it says and what I've got too much ofyet life is just a tune written by the hands of timeI'll keep singing 'long as my reasons for living still rhymeso when I sit in my room...guitar in my lapI know I'm not alone if my memories clapcos at this stage of my lifeI'll play to whoever I canat this stage of my lifesomeplace to sing is tomorrow's plan(c)2004 Robert George