Sitar in Fire! - Old gig on YouTube

Got a gig? Looking to Gig? Post it up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Sitar in Fire! - Old gig on YouTube

Post by mazz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:26 am

Good stuff Allen! I love the way you guys change up the groove (I know it's not called that in Indian music!), you've played together a lot, it sounds like. The Tabla player is obviously young in this because he actually believes that asking for a little silence at this type of gig will work!I used to say that we rehearsed with a recording of people talking just to feel comfortable and normal! I've played so many gigs as background music that it's a bit unnerving to play a concert where people are actually listening!Good stuff!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Allen, COOL! The crowd....well, what can ya say? You got them all settled down tho, the dang heathens, lol.LOVED the tabla and it was great to see you playing the sitar (love that sound). Commented on this in another thread but wanted to back it up.Primary reality, bro.

mewman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mewman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:11 am

Hi AllenNoisy gigs! One of my most memorable was playing upright bass with an "Old-timey" band on a small cruise boat on Lake Placid in the Adirondacks. It was a private birthday party for the owner of Alpo Dog food, who had a gorgeous, boat access only, camp on an island in the middle of the lake. The band played acoustic and the engine had a low, loud ga...rumph...ga...rumph.... ga... rumph sound that was about a half step off of D which, being a band with two fiddles and a banjo, is the key we played a lot of tunes in. I quickly realized that I didn't need to actually play as it made no difference if I did, so I just moved my hands so it looked like I was and watched the rest of the band groan as the motor made them sound just awfull!!! I'm laughing as I type this just thinking about it. We had worked out some really sweet four and five part harmonies for a lot of the songs, but found it almost impossible to sing at all. The thing is, it was one of the best paying gigs I ever had! Go figure.Mewman