Intermusic Forward

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matchu

Intermusic Forward

Post by matchu » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:05 am

I was contacted by Intermusic about one of my songs that had been forwarded to them. They even went so far as to email me a contract. Has anyone had any experience with them and was good, bad, etc...?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Intermusic Forward

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 pm

Congrats on getting a forward & being offered a deal!!!! I don't know the company, but I say get thyself to a fully qualified ENTERTAINMENT lawyer. He/she will read over the contract and negotiate effectively for you.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:54 pm

Well they're a new company, but one of the 2 principals, Rich Dickerson, used to run another company (music supervision though, not a library) called Boy-Girl music.I have met him, he's a good guy and from what I could tell he's good at what he does. Don't know anything about Laura.They actually wanted two of my songs as well but I had already signed them to another company. The contract they are offering is okay, it's not the best nor the worst I've seen. I would second Vikki's recommendation to find a good ENTERTAINMENT lawyer and have him look thru the contract and explain all the clauses to you. It's well worth spending the money, cause once you understand these relatively simple single song publishing deals, you won't have to hire a lawyer everytime somebody offers you one.Congratulations to you and good luck! matto

matchu

Post by matchu » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:42 am

Thanks for the responses. I read through the contract and it seemed like they were wanting 100% of the copyright and publishing. Is that how it usually works?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:52 am

Quote:Thanks for the responses. I read through the contract and it seemed like they were wanting 100% of the copyright and publishing. Is that how it usually works?Some do, some don't. There's always room for negotiation, it just depends on how badly they want your song (or how badly you want the deal... ).The lawyer will be able to explain all your options and advise you, but ultimately it will be your decision.

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:29 am

That's great! Congratulations. Even if you decide the deal is not right for you, way to make a stride in the right direction.BTW - what listing was it for and do you have the songs posted so we can hear?

gabrifini

Post by gabrifini » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:01 am

Hi! Congrats to you on your forward, Matchu. My husband was forwarded to Intermusic for the following listing: TAXI # Y050721EU --------------------------------------------------------------------------------EUROPEAN SONGS AND INSTRUMENTALS -a la French, German, Irish, Scottish, etc.- are needed by a newly-formed Music Library/Publisher based in Los Angeles. They want real ethnic music (not fusion, world, new age stuff). The company’s owner, through a previous music library he owned, has placed dozens of TAXI songs in many different film & TV projects through the years. Now he’s back in the library business [after working as a composer for numerous TV shows] and is seeking great music ASAP to launch his new company. Male and female vocals are OK for vocal submissions. Original material only. The company’s two owners will screen the material submitted for this listing, so your songs are going directly to the source. Broadcast quality needed--Great sounding home recordings are just fine. (Meaning they will use your version - they will not re-record anything). No need to submit songs that were forwarded to listing # Y050418WO. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyric sheets if applicable. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. PLEASE ENCLOSE A S.A.S.E IF YOU WOULD LIKE A RESPONSE. As always, we will notify those forwarded. Submissions must be received no later than July 21, 2005. TAXI # Y050721EU Is this the listing you were contacted about? The song that was forwarded for my husband is "Setanta." He is a singer-songwriter from Derry, N. Ireland, but we live in the Chicago area (I am American!). If you want to check out the song, his name is Gavin Coyle and some of his songs are on Broadjam. Good luck to everyone. All the best!

matchu

Post by matchu » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:56 am

I had 2 songs forwarded for Listing#Y050406PO. "I Killed Superman" and "I Am The Messiah" but they only offered me a deal for "I Am The Messiah."