My first Return

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thokus
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

My first Return

Post by thokus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 am

If I say it like that it sounds like I never got returned.. Got my first submissions return for "Hookah Schmookah' and "Thunder Thighs". Mostly 6's with a couple of 5's.. Man do I need to get better ... Now I have a good starting point for improvement... Man this is fun!!!

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My first Return

Post by coachdebra » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm

I love your attitude. I recommend posting the songs with the return comments up on Peer to Peer for specific feedback on how to make the songs/recordings better.

And don't wait to get back to writing - Ya gotta just get back on that horse when he throws ya!

thokus
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by thokus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Its mainly the drums.. Im sucky at fake drums.. My wife always tels me Im too busy with the drums ....Plus it didnt fit the listing ... Sooo. Back to the drawing board.. I wonder ..if theres a "fake drum" class I could take somewhere. Hmm

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Congratulations, you're really on your way! (not being sarcastic at all, cuz a thousand mile journey begins with that first step) I like Deb's idea; given the number of people discussing the various drum software solutions over in Tech, there should be lots of great suggestions.... :D
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jfraizer
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jfraizer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey Tom, I think of it as going back to school. Not going to graduate the first day of class. Soak up as much information as you can, continue to work at your craft, learn from and help others along the way. If you are determined and talented (which I know you are, I've listened to your stuff) Eventually you will find the formula that works for you.

Best of luck on the journey.... :D

thokus
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by thokus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks you people.. If im gonna learn anything about this business its probably gonna be here . Just in the two months ive been on this thing Ive learned more than the 57 years befor, combined .. I'm an old fart trying to get my second wind in life.. .. This is the wind I'm gonna ride...
Debra .. I'm redoing the drums on my latest new song. then I'll be doing the others as time permits ..I won't quit writing songs ever .. this critique is like another lesson for me ...
Mojo.. I think I know what to do about the drums.... quit making them so complicated.. But your right . I'm gonna post something to see if theres a trick someone can help with on how to get that great "real" sound . thanks
Jen .. thanks for the comments ... i love your stuff too.. Are you submitting that cool Electro Tango song .. Hope so , it's a good one

ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ottlukk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

gotta say, I love your attitude. Makes me reconsider my own.
Ott

Hookjaw Brown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Hookjaw Brown » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I have never gotten a forward, but had some REALLY good suggestions about how to improve my songs. I have gotten 7,8,9's but no forwards. Oh well I say, make it all 10's and I am doing good, even if there are no contracts. It means I am getting better at the craft, and my audience loves the new stuff.

The professionalism of TAXI is worth the disappointments of rejection. Improve or die.

le Hook
Hookjaw

"I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left". - Seasick Steve

http://www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Tom

Welcome to TAXI U ;) Sorry it wasn't a forward but you'll get those in time, along with a bunch more returns... We all do. So just grow a thick skin and start working! This thing we lead you to a new level of musicianship if you let it!

Good Luck!
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 pm

it all starts from Returns ! a Return is like a wake up call for me.

when i had my first Returns, it hurt me and i wanted to improve myself so much. i like your attitude, you know you want to improve and get better. most importantly you are having fun. :)

without being rejected, it wasn't possible for me to take my work to current level. i still need to get better in many ways. i realized im getting better and faster every time i write a new material. i like discovering learning new things/styles/sounds/techniques etc.. its a journey. i never get tired or bored of it.

i mentioned this in another thread, what i stopped doing is to make something original, if im going for film/tv music. cos its hard to pitch or even classify what it is, and hard to find similar bands/artists. i noticed that my old songs never sounded like current popular rock bands out there. mine was a mixture of progressive + punk + alternative and pop, and some electro. lol. i might actually re-work on them to make them sound "current".

my practice is to listen what is hot out there now, and make something in similar style, not exactly the same or too close to paticular song (s) but with similar guitar tone, riffs that new cool bands would play etc.. this has been working well for me. i only started using this method 6 months ago.

keep writing !!