Heavy Rock ala - Slipknot 10th remix - do I have it now?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Heavy Rock ala - Slipknot 10th remix - do I have it now?

Post by jnmorrison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks to everyone who has already commented! And to BigBlue who stepped in and offered some MUCH needed guidance and ears as to the problems I was having.
The 10th mix is up... I think I really have this time around. Check it out if ya have time?
I've uploaded the last mix as a reference as well under "onslaughtcenter"

HEAVY ROCK INSTRUMENTALS a la the wide range of Slipknot, Mudvayne, System of a Down, etc., wanted by a successful Music Production House with major commercial and television credits. Top-notch performances are necessary! Broadcast Quality is needed (excellent sounding home recordings are fine.) Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Monday, April 26, 2010.

on my taxi page at:
http://www.taxi.com/jnmorrison
title is "Onslaught" - it's the new mix, and a much better title methinks! =)
Finally mastered my guitar panning, and drum eq, and overall volume and punch!

Thanks
Nick
Last edited by jnmorrison on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

bonejack
Active
Active

Re: Heavy Rock tune ala - Slipknot

Post by bonejack » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Nick,

I think musically you have nailed this one. Great song and great playing. The guitar tone is right and the style of drumming is close to slipknot as well. I think the only thing that may hold this back is the production. To my ears everything sounds a little muffled or muddy. I think, while the snare sounds close, it could have a bit more high end pop in it. Also, the bass and the bass drum don't seem to have much definition to really give it that modern in your face kinda sound. Just my .02 worth. Hope that helps and good luck with this one.

-=Dave

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 am

Hey Nick, cool tune! Guitars are beefy and sound good. I'm not sure about that piccolo snare. Just listened to Vendetta, and their snare is more just a dry regular snare. Your's has more ping than pop, just
MHO
There is a little oh so slight distortion on the mix, but that could be the MP3
Good job overall....I liked it!
Cheers
Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova

remoteoutofcontrol
Impressive
Impressive

Post by remoteoutofcontrol » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 am

Generally it sounds great but I agree with the others about the muffled sound and the snare drum.

All the best man :)

Ken.
Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living. Anais Nin

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2/tracks

glender
Impressive
Impressive

Post by glender » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Nice piece, not what I typically listen to but there's no denying your level of talent.

thokus
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by thokus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:46 pm

I think you got it .. Fits right in there with the "A La's".. I agree also that the snare needs some work .. I think you have a real good chance for a forward with this one ..Good luck
Tom

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Heavy Rock tune ala - Slipknot REVISED

Post by jnmorrison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks all for your input -
I've generated a much cleaner/balanced mix now with your input!
Thanks so much!
If you have time - give it a second listen!

Thanks!
Nick

2lane
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by 2lane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Nick, I'm just try to help here, so take it that way. The snare sounds better, but still not there yet. It's just not cutting thru.
The toms either. You commented on my tune for this listing a while back, and you liked my drums, so here's my advice.
Roll back the guitars just a tad, bring the drums up some, and maybe put some highs on the toms. I know most people think
the toms are mostly in the lows, and they are, but some upper mid highs really give them some definition. Right now they sound
like rumbles in the background. In these bands, their drums are the heart of the song. You got the guitars pretty damn good, but rolling them back just a tad might clean up the mix a little.
The song is worth the submission right now, but you know these screeners. You're at least at 50/50 chance right now, maybe
60/40. Not knockin' ya, cuz that's about where mine is to. If we were BigBlueBarry, I'd give us 80/20 or better...but we ain't!
It has a leg to stand on now, so sub it no matter what.
You got skills dude, no doubt there
All the best Man
Steve
Worse, how can it be worse...Jehova Jehova Jehova

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jnmorrison » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:12 pm

no offence or anything taken! seriously - MUCH appreciated! I think NOW I have it!
I had bussed the toms and the snare, but I forgot to unmute the bus!!! NOW they are much more present and punchy...hopefully not too much?
I'm learning as I go - I'm NOT an engineer, and I don't know much about mixing...so this is a hard thing for me to get right and I always appreciate any help I can get!

Cheers for the advice!
Nick

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey Nick,

I think you're on the right track man! Definitely has a Slipknot vibe to it.

One thing that you could do that I think would really open up the mix would be to pan your guitars hard left and hard right. Right now it seems as if you've got everything panned dead center and every instrument is fighting for it's own sonic space. But if you can pan your guitars, one track (or pair, depending on how many guitar tracks you have) all the way to the left, and the other all the way to the right, it will help the overall mix as well. I would bet that it will make your drums cut through a little better as well since they won't be fighting the guitars anymore.

Speaking of drums... here's another thing you can do... Group all of your drums together and send their signal to a pair of stereo aux busses. The first buss, you will leave it as-is, no inserts. But on the 2nd buss, on the first insert, put a distortion plug-in. I use a Sans-amp plug-in myself. Use this instead of a compressor. The distortion will handle the compression. Now, you want to bring the dry buss up first to a comfortable level and then gradually start increasing the level of the "dirty" buss to taste. I learned this trick at the Rally last year thanks to one Mr. Rob Chiarelli. Before that, I used the parallel compression technique but after trying his trick, I made the switch and never looked back. It really helps the drums cut through the mix.

hth,
- Big Blue
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry