please review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

azras habit

please review

Post by azras habit » Sat May 01, 2010 1:16 pm

rather than bitching at a screener, i would like to get a second opinion since this return hit hard. It's been 2 days and i cant find much to agree with.
The listing was for Indie Pop a la Vampire Weekend.
You can find my song "serotonin" at www.taxi.com/azrashabit
I tried to cater to this listing and recorded this song influenced by vampire weekend song "cousins"
this is what i got:

"The guitar sounds a little out of tune. I like the upbeat accents that are ska-like. Good energy but the performances can be solidified some regarding consistency."
"With the bar very high, I am returning based on some style discrepancy but mostly due to performance and production quality."
song was reted 7's all the way down.

Not to be disrespectful toward my musician colleges, but after hearing what got forwarded I was disappointed and still cant get over it.
Would someone shine some light please :)
Nurko

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: please review

Post by japaneseprincess » Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

hi :)

sorry to hear about the return, i think the bar was pretty high on this listing as the screener said.
the best thing is to forget about if tracks were forwarded or returned. we gotta just move forward and improve ourselves. you will get used to this process soon.

if you want me to be brutally honest, please read. but if not, you dont need to read this.., ok?
its nothing personal.

i agree with the screener, the guitar (fuzzy one) is out of tune, not a little, but a lot to my ears. because of the guitar sound (distortion) it makes even more out of tune and making it sound muddy. did you tune your guitar before recording? have you checked the intonation of your guitar properly? also im hearing some guitar noises (especially when you do stabs) which should be edited in your DAW. Production wise, Vampire weekend are likely to use more cleaner guitar sound.

performance becomes slightly messy here and there.

screener is very right in what he/she say. i think it was a tough decision.
you should re-record guitar parts again, do a simple arrangement. post it on peer to peer to for more feedback?

azras habit

Post by azras habit » Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Taeko!
I apprechiate your honesty! I guess P2P would have been better for this post huh?
I thought i tuned my guitar before recording, but i am not so sure any more after all of this . Distordion was delibarete, i tried to make it sound a bit different but I overdid it perhaps. As I did with the arrangement, i am so glad you mentioned that.
Thnak you :P
Nurko

Post by 1.7 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Tuning issue aside (which is apparent on that song), you have cool material. Happy Song is awesome.

japaneseprincess
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by japaneseprincess » Mon May 03, 2010 4:51 pm

azras habit wrote:Hi Taeko!
I apprechiate your honesty! I guess P2P would have been better for this post huh?
I thought i tuned my guitar before recording, but i am not so sure any more after all of this . Distordion was delibarete, i tried to make it sound a bit different but I overdid it perhaps. As I did with the arrangement, i am so glad you mentioned that.
Thnak you :P
Nurko
good. yes, P2P will be a better place to get ready before you submit. cos folks will check things like tuning problems, arrangement, performance... you cannot expect forum regulars to review your music all the time, as we are all busy, but lots of us are here to help each other when possible :)

sounds like you are feeling better now... you are not miles away from the forward, im sure about this.
just needed to borrow external ears before you submitted for final fixes.

azras habit

Post by azras habit » Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 pm

1.7 wrote:Tuning issue aside (which is apparent on that song), you have cool material. Happy Song is awesome.

Thnaks for the boost man! Is funny, but I got that song returned a couple of times. I allmost gave up on her, but I might just fix her up ;)
Would have liked to hear some of you'r stuff as well
Cheers

steveprobst
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by steveprobst » Tue May 04, 2010 8:19 am

Yeah, I know, getting a return sorta hurts! :roll:

I'd agree w/jp on this. Good reminder to me to clean things up and keep it tuned up.
Steve Probst

===========================
Songwriter/Composer
Touring Vocalist/Guitarist
http://SteveProbst.net
https://soundcloud.com/steveprobst

chits
Impressive
Impressive

Post by chits » Thu May 06, 2010 8:25 am

steveprobst wrote:Yeah, I know, getting a return sorta hurts! :roll:

I'd agree w/jp on this. Good reminder to me to clean things up and keep it tuned up.
I just have to say this....my maiden name is "Propst," and my cousin's name is Steven Propst, so every time I see your name on the screen, it's like I have a relative in here. :)

We're just one letter removed.

I'm guessing people have joked with you that your name is all consonants, or asked you if you're related to Jeff Probst of Survivor...if I remember, he spells his name with a B.
http://www.youtube.com/user/onewomanandsomesongs

"Some are condemned by the Gods to write."

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu May 06, 2010 8:48 am

azras habit wrote:I thought i tuned my guitar before recording, but i am not so sure any more after all of this .
Nurko
Hi Nurko,

I had this exact problem on my bass guitar. My electronic tuner would tell me that I was in tune...but my bass lines were out of tune! :o

I had an intonation problem, which I fixed quite easily.

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

azras habit

Post by azras habit » Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 am

cardell wrote:
azras habit wrote:I thought i tuned my guitar before recording, but i am not so sure any more after all of this .
Nurko
Hi Nurko,

I had this exact problem on my bass guitar. My electronic tuner would tell me that I was in tune...but my bass lines were out of tune! :o

I had an intonation problem, which I fixed quite easily.

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
I was thinking of that as well. That has to do with tuning the guitar neck right? I play a Telecaster, and there is not much else there. I will have to take this to a guitar shop. Honestly, i haven't done this since i had bought it (2000 :oops: )

Thanks man,