Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

My Sennheiser Mic Story

Post by ernstinen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 am

Hey All,

Back in the late 80s, I saw an ad in the Recycler for a garage sale. I was looking for some mic stands, and they were in the ad.

My drummer friend and I drove over, and an older lady showed us into her garage. It seems that her late husband was a TV/film sound man, and had some gear left behind in the garage.

As we were rummaging around, I came upon a box with a bunch of microphones in it. There were two Sennheiser boxes in there, and when I opened them up, I about had a heart attack! They were a matched pair of Sennheiser K2-U shotgun condenser microphones.

I looked at my friend with wide eyes, and asked the lady how much she wanted for them. She said "$5 each." :o

Of course, we bought them as well as some other mics and a ton of adapters, plus a bunch of mic stands.

My Sennheiser K2-U is still my "go to" mic for vocals, acoustic guitar etc. A fantastic mic! Other than a Neumann U-87, it's the best mic I've ever heard.

Ern 8-) :) :mrgreen:

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My Sennheiser Mic Story

Post by cardell » Mon May 03, 2010 2:27 am

Oh man...GREAT DEAL!!! :o

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon May 03, 2010 5:07 pm

cardell wrote:Oh man...GREAT DEAL!!! :o

Stuart
LOL! :lol: Yes, it sure was. Some people have said to me "You took advantage of an old woman, you scumbag!" Well, it was a garage sale! Aren't you supposed to find stuff like that occasionally!? --- My only regret is letting my drummer friend have the second mic of the matched pair. But there were other vintage mics that I kept, made by Philips, Norelco etc. Classic dynamic mics that you always see on live 60s videos. They had weird European-style cables though. --- BTW, I thought that Norelco only made shavers! :mrgreen:

The other "deal" was the box of line adapters, phase reversers, batteries, etc. etc. That stuff must have been easily worth $400, all for another $5! :D

Ern 8-) :)

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Well, Ern, the Norelco story explains the facial hair in your avatar pic.

You're not supposed to shave with a mic, bro!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!