Instrumental Cover of Peg by Steely Dan??

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BenEvolence

Instrumental Cover of Peg by Steely Dan??

Post by BenEvolence » Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 pm

I have a cover of the Steely Dan tune Peg. It's a jazz samba version. Anyone have a hunch if it would fit this listing? Sounds like they are looking more for the rock genre. My gut is no because it's too far outside the box but the listing did mention "unique twists".

COVERS OF CLASSIC ROCK SONGS - VOCALS AND INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Music Supervisor of a major cable TV series. They’re looking for covers of songs that pay homage to classic artists such as The Beatles, the Kinks, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Crosby Stills & Nash, Cream, etc. The supervisor has asked that you do not send in covers by Neil Young, U2 or Van Morrison, as these artists tunes are not easy to license. She wants to hear unique twists on the classics, so please don’t submit exact sound-alikes. Male or female vocals are OK and all tempos are fine. We recently ran this as listing #Y100412CR, so if you submitted to that listing, please send in new material this time around. Broadcast quality needed [great sounding home recordings are OK]. Excellent performances are absolutely essential. Please submit one to three songs and/or Instrumentals online or per CD, include lyrics (when applicable.) All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 2:00pm (PST) on Tuesday, May 11, 2010. TAXI #D100511CR

theharper
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Instrumental Cover of Peg by Steely Dan??

Post by theharper » Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 pm

The last time they ran this listing I submitted an instrumental Renaissance version of Stairway To Heaven with Harp, Flute, Recorder and Bowed Psaltery and that got a forward...so I would say go for it!

jfraizer
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jfraizer » Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Agree with theharper, Go for it!

BenEvolence

Post by BenEvolence » Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the replies! Guess the only thing I can lose is $5 :>)

BenEvolence

Post by BenEvolence » Tue May 04, 2010 7:39 pm

It just occurred to me if in the case of a cover song being placed a licensing fee will have to go to the original writer or publishing company right? What would you expect the poor starving artist to receive?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 pm

The license fee could very well be for the master, which would be your recording of your arrangement. Of course, you couldn't reap writer's royalties, Fagen and Becker are entitled to those, but part of what they would want would be your version of the song, which is worth something, for sure!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

I guess I lost $15. I haven't heard anything from the last listing. Oh well it was fun, for me anyway,lol!
Congratulations harper!

I just hope I don't get sued before they listen to them!lol!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music