Not sure what to make of Dispatch?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BenEvolence

Not sure what to make of Dispatch?

Post by BenEvolence » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm

After subscribing to Dispatch a couple of days ago I was expecting to see a staedy flow of listings coming into my Inbox. Nada. I went to my hosting area and hit the Dispatch listing. Only 3 listings all of which I had previously rec'd prior to my joining (I didn't know they were sending me all the listing , thought this was just a preview). Lassly of the 3 listings I see one in the regular listings only with a deaadline of 2 weeks later!?! What do I need Dispatch for? I thinking maybe they just pulled one from the regular listings to have something to offer Dispatch subscribers. Part of the sales pitch is that there maybe less submissions equaling a more advantageous ratio increasing the odds of placement. So much for that. I'm willing to give it a little more time but not a good first impression. Dispatch is Dis-appointing so far. Any feedback from other Dispatch users?

rld
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Not sure what to make of Dispatch?

Post by rld » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey Ben,
Not sure what you were expecting. If you signed up for the listings before you joined there should be no surprises.
I went back and looked at my Dispatch email folder.
I don't know if I'd call it a "steady flow" cause they seem to come in bursts with gaps.
Sometimes a couple a day for a few days, then nothing for a few days, then a group in one day, then quiet for a few days, etc.
Whether its right for you is something only you can decide.
You normally have a week or less to submit a song, and the results come back far quicker then regular listings.
I will say that the majority of my deals have come from dispatch forwards, so I find it valuable.
Hope that helps. ;)

rolanoid
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rolanoid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 pm

They've been sending out a lot of special last minute listings lately to all members. Normally the last minute stuff is what Dispatch is for. Makes you wonder why we are paying for dispatch now - maybe they are going to can Dispatch and are testing the waters...

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:52 pm

BenEvolence wrote:After subscribing to Dispatch a couple of days ago I was expecting to see a staedy flow of listings coming into my Inbox. Nada. I went to my hosting area and hit the Dispatch listing. Only 3 listings all of which I had previously rec'd prior to my joining (I didn't know they were sending me all the listing , thought this was just a preview). Lassly of the 3 listings I see one in the regular listings only with a deaadline of 2 weeks later!?! What do I need Dispatch for? I thinking maybe they just pulled one from the regular listings to have something to offer Dispatch subscribers. Part of the sales pitch is that there maybe less submissions equaling a more advantageous ratio increasing the odds of placement. So much for that. I'm willing to give it a little more time but not a good first impression. Dispatch is Dis-appointing so far. Any feedback from other Dispatch users?
Definitely they're not pulling regular listings just to have something for Dispatch. That would be fraud. Taxi is a straight-forward company... you can call, visit their offices, etc, they've been around for 15 years or more, well connected in the industry (their music conference speaks to that).

Anyway... Dispatch is an ebb and flow kind of thing. 15 Dispatch listings so far for the month of June, 12 in May, 21 in April, 28 in March, 19 in February and 16 in January. The listing you're probably talking about is the "dark brooding" thing for the paranormal show theme? I thought it was a bit odd to see the regular listing show up before the Dispatch submissions are even screened. I've seen Dispatch listings run and then later (maybe if they needed more music or didn't find what they were looking for in Dispatch) ran a regular listing. Not sure what the listing company's reason is for running a regular listing at the same time they're doing a Dispatch listing but that's a thing we might never know. Although I'm sure Taxi would shed some light on this if someone called. I'm sorta curious but not enough to actually call and ask. :lol:

Interesting too that the screening for that Dispatch listing is taking more than a week. Must have received a boatload of submissions. If that's the case, they'll have enough regular listing submissions to fill a hard drive. :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Yes, typically, we average about a Dispatch Listing per day, but they definitely come in bursts... not always linear. We're at the mercy of the industry's whims.

The reason some of the Dispatch listings run for longer periods of time is NOT that we're pulling them from regular listings. We sometimes get listings that don't fit on the deadlines of our publishing dates of the 1st and 15th of each month. So rather than pass on the listing altogether, we'll put it out as a Dispatch. In other words, if somebody gives us the listing on the 2nd of the month, and needs the music in their hands by the 10th, it falls between the cracks. I hope that makes sense.

As for our recent flurry of one-off listings going out to all members: there are two reasons; 1) We know from experience that these particular listings would draw VERY low submissions because of their genres/requirements, therefore, probably no forwards. We've begun working closely with some top music supervisors and ad agencies and we REALLY want to impress them with how quickly we can find great music. In order to insure that we DO find great music, we've had to put those out to the masses. And honestly, we didn't expect so MANY listings so quickly, but we're happy to have that problem :D

BTW, our guy in NY said after getting our first batch of quick turnaround forwards, "Can you always do that?" I was happy to respond, "Why yes, yes we CAN." He was really impressed when we sent him the second batch that also blew his socks off. The bad thing about ad agencies is that they always tell you they need it by tomorrow, then take weeks to decide :evil:

2) The other reason we are sending some of the quick turnaround things out to all members is that we are once again testing yet another email provider... or should I say, they are testing US! When you have a list the size of ours, you are required to go through some fairly rigorous list testing, in which we need to meet certain deliverability/bounce rate specs. Rather than sending out blank or other meaningless emails, I made the call to test the services by sending out these quickies. All parties win.

So there you have it. No subterfuge, just a collision of circumstances.

Moving forward, we're not entirely sure how we're going to deal with quick turns that we know we won't get large enough batches in for. We know that singer/songwriters don't often join Dispatch, but that's what's being asked for at the moment. We also have expenses that we incur when we do quickies. we have one staff member mostly dedicated to Dispatch and as is the case this week, there will be night time screening. And to add to all this, we have some new plans in the works for a different delivery method for ALL Industry listings, and that COULD include each listing being a one off. There are MANY factors for us to consider and more work to get done on 2.0 before we move forward with that.

Sorry for any confusion, and please feel free to spread the word on other TAXI Forum threads. We'd really appreciate the help, as right now our MAIN focus is on bringing you the best possible opps. As you've seen recently, our efforts are really beginning to pay off. We hope to keep increasing the number of Listings that give 100% to the writers/composers.

Frankly, you are now starting to see one of the biggest differences between TAXI and the companies who try to copy us. We're able to leverage relationships that most other companies don't have. In a perfect world, the day will come when nearly all of our listings will put 100% in your pockets. It's been a long time coming, but we ARE making real progress.

HTH,
Michael