Vocal Perfomance

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Vocal Perfomance

Post by ottlukk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Got another return from a TAXI listing. I used Patty Mattson, affiliated with DBW Productions, for these submissions. I thought she did really well, never mind the quality of my songs. But it really irritates me when a screener checks off "vocal performance" as one reason for returning a submission, especially when I've used a professional with talent.
Please excuse my rant.
Ott

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Vocal Perfomance

Post by mojobone » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Rant excused; after all, you did everything you could, at least as far as providing a competent vocal performance is concerned. I'd suggest a Peer To Peer or Screener Shoutout post, but I doubt either would be productive, under the circumstances. ;)
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:29 am

Ott
You didn't post the listing and the song so it's hard to say what's up here. My suggestion is you contact Taxi and ask for clarification on 'vocal performance' and the return.

In the Y/N world with a few checkboxes (we never even had checkboxes not that long ago), the selection of a box can mean a lot of different things. For example, vocal performance could be pitch, not enough/not the right emotion, or anything else regarding what type of vocal matches the LISTING requirements.

Best
:) Casey

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 am

Hey Ott!

Maybe the screener just had a bad day --- fight with the wife --- angry at women etc. ;) But I agree, post the piece! Hard to tell until "we" hear it (those of us that had our stuff slammed by screeners one day, and the next day they love it! :lol: ).

But I identify with us dealing with lousy screeners occasionally. I actually dropped my membership during my "symphonic orchestra" era because a Taxi dude or dudette tried to tell me how to write classical music. I mean, c'mon, the person had no understanding of the genre. I actually called Michael L. and talked to him about it. He really listened! (Maybe you should do the same thing, in some way, shape or form!). I told Michael that the listings should be "Sounds like John Williams" etc, not just a generic non-descript "classical" listing. He changed things, and I'm back on board (I think --- better check my renewal email! LOL! :mrgreen: ).

Best Regards,

Ern 8-) :)

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Ott, is this the same Patty Mattson? I think she sounds great, maybe the screener doesn't like her satire??

http://pattymattson.com/jingles.html
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ottlukk » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Mojo: Both of these tunes have been on peer to peer. They are "I Want My Virginity Back!", and "In The Back of a Rolls Royce". They can be heard at www.myspace.com/suspendedspidersongs. I'll point out tht there are two versions of "Rolls Royce" on my MySpace page. The country version is sung by Juli Maners, out of Nashville, and the pop veersion is done by Patty Mattson.
Casey: The link is above, thanks for replying.
Ern: Ditto.
Len: That's the singer. She has some really good stuff on her MySpace page.
Ott

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:17 pm

What was the listing?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:55 pm

ottlukk wrote:Casey:
Y100617PO.
Ott
Your not making this easy ;) ... You need to post the TEXT of the listing. You should be able to get it from your submission history by clicking on the listing number. We can't access expired listings.

:D Casey

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Patty is fantastic singer, very versatile. It's got to be a bummer to spend money hiring a great vocalist to have them fall short. Maybe you could get a little more in-depth explanation.