From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Rally Hotel

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi
I'm also a non-perfoming songwriter so we have something in common. Bring some CDs with demos-- fully demo'd professional recordings if you have them and/or rough works.

You get one 15 minute mentor session with one mentor who you pick when you register. Read up on the mentors when you get your initial packet 1-2 weeks before the rally so you narrow down your choices. If you are mainly looking for help with pure songwriting, you can show some rough demos to your mentor for feedback. Don't take a ton of disks with you (10-15 max I'd guess, maybe less). If you meeet industry pros that you can follow up with, it's better to take down their contact info (exchange biz cards) and follow up later. These guys get hundreds of CDs hurled at them and probably throw them out before they leave the rally. You should have CDs for use in classes where they play selections from the audience (You usually get those back after the classes). If you have pro demos or extremely well recorded guitar and vocals, have a few CDs for the drop boxes for industry panels. Odds of your song getting picked out of hundreds are small and since this will be played in front of a large group, only do it with well recorded material.

Last year I know I posted a packing list... I'll see if I can find it. Feel free to PM me anytime. If you want to chat by email or phone, just drop me a note.

Looking forward to meeting you!
:) Casey

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 am

Casey H wrote:It's best to be there by Thursday early afternoon (the latest). Registration opens at 5 or 6PM but a huge line starts forming a few hours before. Hanging out on the line is actually a great way to meet people, network, and have fun. People even do jam sessions while on line. The advantage of registering early is you get a better choice of mentors for your 15 minute one on one mentor meeting.

Hope to meet you!

For three years now, I've taken an early flight Friday morning -- for example last year I arrived at LAX at 7:45 -- and I've done just fine getting thru registration in time for the first Ballroom session, keynote, etc.

Just wanted to document that as consistent experience in case it saves anyone else a night's hotel charges (like it does me!).

I guess tho, that you'd either need to come from somewhere relatively close (like I do, ABQ), or from a city/airport big enough to offer red-eye flights.

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Rally Hotel- registration problems

Post by shellsings » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:53 am

Anyone having registration problems for the Westin through TAXI's site? it says "Timed out" Session timed out due to inactivity, click here to go to home page. I do that and still have problems, and its not due to inactivity...

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rally Hotel- registration problems

Post by remmet » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm

shellsings wrote:Anyone having registration problems for the Westin through TAXI's site? it says "Timed out" Session timed out due to inactivity, click here to go to home page. I do that and still have problems, and its not due to inactivity...
I called the Westin directly and made reservations without a hitch. They are well aware of the Taxi discount, and you don't need to reserve your room with a credit card. You can just pay when you arrive. And you can cancel almost up until the last minute.

Richard

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Everyone,

I am curious if your guest must go through the line with you or they can register at a different time. Do they set up chairs for the registration or do we stand in line for several hours?

Thanks,

Alan

Evan,

also traveling from Atlanta on Delta. Flying early in the morning. I am going to check the shuttle times in order to arrive early as possible.
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

evanmcgill
Impressive
Impressive

Post by evanmcgill » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Alan,

Looks like I'll be in LA already for my real job! That Westin I believe has a shuttle that makes the run around the airport and I THINK it runs every half hour, but I travel a lot, so I could be wrong.

What a coincidence!!!! I'm having my company pay for me to fly to LA for work Monday-Wednesday and that just happens to be the week of the Rally :)

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Even,

thanks for posting back. I will check with the Westin to make sure they travel that early. I think it will around 9:20 AM with the plane lands. I hope to see you there. I nice to meet someone from Atlanta. Some time ago I put up a thread entitled anyone from Atlanta but I didn't receive any posts.

Sincerely,

Alan

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm

dynamicalan wrote:Everyone,

I am curious if your guest must go through the line with you or they can register at a different time. Do they set up chairs for the registration or do we stand in line for several hours?

Thanks,

Alan
Guests can register at any time and their registration is completely independent of the member who's bringing them. Just make sure your guest is pre-registered with Taxi just as you are. A badge will be waiting for them.

Also, guests can participate in all activities except the private mentor session.

HTH

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Casey,

thanks for posing back.

Alan