What are the best headphones for mixing?

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What are the best headphones for mixing?

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:20 pm

That's a great deal...I paid well over 300 for those badboys (worth every penny still).

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Definitely the same ones? Surround?

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes but it looks like the 650s are discontinued. I suppose i would go for the 750s (more expensive) but who knows. I just love them and my ears have never gotten tired once (and I keep them on for hours at a time). I've gotten used to using them for mixing (with great results), because I end up doing it in the middle of the night more often than not.

ckbarlow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ckbarlow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Um, yeah, I'd say your results represent a reasonably good endorsement, Mr. One Placement After Another. :lol:

Wow, that's interesting. It's always, "Never mix in headphones. Never mix in headphones. Never..."

But just as with speakers, it comes down to knowing your own equipment. Not so much about the best, but knowing your monitors and your room well. There's a pretty successful TAXI member who, if I recall correctly, is deaf in one ear and uses Radio Shack speakers -- but she knows their sound and works with it, writes out mix diagrams, etc.

There's no silver bullet.

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:39 pm

rnrmachine wrote:Hi Dorothy,

The Beyerdynamic DT series (770, 990 the 880s are $300+ though) headphones can be used for mixing. Like Mark said, open back is supposed to be best but then they are no good for tracking since they bleed. They are right in your price range. I read they made them a certain way, so the bass responds in a way, that you can use them to mix with. They have open back and closed versions. They also come in different ohms.. 80 and 250 so you can match them better to suit your needs.

Friendly reminder; Remember to check for phase issues in normal speakers when mixing in cans.

Rob
A HUGE +1 to this. I have been using a pair of DT-880s for years now and it is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I do not use monitors at all.

leonh

Post by leonh » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 am

I have AKG K240 MK2 very good no colouration of sound.

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 am

I agree with rnrmachine I have a couple of pairs of The Beyerdynamic DT series 990 also have a custom pair that I had made as well I think that they are the bomb for tracking they are good. I do whole bunch of vocals on my tracks there is no bleeding what so ever try them the cost about $199.99. Good liuck in your serach for what is going to be good for you and your studio.

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:51 pm

I have a set of AKG K-701 Reference Headphones that I use to double check mixes as well as critical listening tasks while tracking and production work. These headphones are FLAT FLAT FLAT and take the "Room" completely out of the equation. They are so flat that nothing really sounds excellent on them. But, if I can't hear something or something else is too loud in a mix I can instantly hear it because being a true reference device they are absolutely true to the mix. This of course cannot compensate for hearing loss or fatigue. A direct line out from the mix bus is also helpful.

Get yer money ready...

HTH
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:53 am

t4mh wrote:I have a set of AKG K-701 Reference Headphones that I use to double check mixes as well as critical listening tasks while tracking and production work. These headphones are FLAT FLAT FLAT and take the "Room" completely out of the equation. They are so flat that nothing really sounds excellent on them. But, if I can't hear something or something else is too loud in a mix I can instantly hear it because being a true reference device they are absolutely true to the mix. This of course cannot compensate for hearing loss or fatigue. A direct line out from the mix bus is also helpful.

Get yer money ready...

HTH
Keith
I looked those up and they look nice... I saw a few on Ebay going fairly low compared to music sites and the sellers claimed to be "authorized dealers" so... could be a good deal. I wouldn't mind owning a pair of those, hehe.

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 pm

They do the job they were intended for but for just listening to music they pretty much suck. Most headphones are tweaked for specific response frequencies that listeners like to hear. The 701 are reference spec like the way you'd like your room to be if you really really had the money. I didn't feel like I could spend the money on the room and I didn't want to booger the plaster/lathe walls in my Victorian home so the headphones were the next best thing.

HTH
Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com