Any US Top 20 Cuts Ever thru taxi?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dannyboybell

Any US Top 20 Cuts Ever thru taxi?

Post by dannyboybell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:37 am

Hi all!This is my first post.Been pondering joining taxi for a while and I have a question that maybe some of you may have the answer to:Has anyone ever had any songs placed on US top 20 albums through taxi?If so, how many and as much detail as possible would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.Danny

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Any US Top 20 Cuts Ever thru taxi?

Post by matto » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:04 pm

The question is a little confusing...are you speciafically looking for cuts on albums that hit the Top 20 or are singles that hit the top 20 on the singles chart eligible as well?

dannyboybell

Post by dannyboybell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Sorry about the confusiocity...yes singles also...on the billboard top 20 singles or albums charts(not country, alt, RnB etc.)Hope that makes it more clear.D

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey, Danny, back in 2006, Elliot Park's song "I Loved Her First" was number 1 on the country Billboard charts. He got a songwriting deal through TAXI, and that resulted in him eventually writing "I Loved Her First" with veteran writer, Walt Aldridge. "Buy Me A Rose" was another number one hit through TAXI....I can't remember the writer's names, but Kenny Rogers cut the song submitted by two TAXI members...sorry, I only remember the country successes since I'm a country songwriter.....maybe the other peeps here can name the songs in other genres.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Jesse McCartney's "Beautiful Soul." I can't remember if it was top 20, but it was played on the radio a good bit.-Steve

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Nov 16, 2008, 7:41pm, slideboardouts wrote:Jesse McCartney's "Beautiful Soul." I can't remember if it was top 20, but it was played on the radio a good bit.The single peaked at number 15 on the Hot 100, the album also at number 15 on the Billboard 200 Album Chart...Also, Heartland's Album "I Loved Her First" which featured the eponymous single mentioned by Chits above peaked at number 11 on the Billboard 200 Album Chart..."Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer made it all the way to number 2 on the Hot 100...While the two number 1 country songs mentioned by Chits strictly speaking don't fall in the Top 20 of the Hot 100 or Billboard 200, it should be pointed out that a number 1 Country (or Urban, Pop, Rock) radio single, will earn the writer FAR more money than an album cut (which is not also a single) on a Top 20 Album on the Billboard 200 would bring these days, due to the collapse of record sales.

dannyboybell

Post by dannyboybell » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Thank you very much for the answers...so all those songs mentioned were pitched directly from Taxi?Thnx

simonparker
Impressive
Impressive

Post by simonparker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am

Danny:Not all the aforementioned resulted directly from a TAXI forward but so what? The Kenny Rogers tune, if I recall was picked up by one of the screeners at TAXI from another pitch. The Jesse McCartney track was done subsequent of TAXI - but the writers got to McCartney's managers through a TAXI listing, I believe. Regardless of direct pitch or not, TAXI did in some way make the connection possible which otherwise might not be there.Also, some are forgetting that Crossfade was picked up for a record deal in part by TAXI.
http://soundcloud.com/simon-parker

developing artists for record deals since 2008

dannyboybell

Post by dannyboybell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Thank you very much again for all the input.My reason for joining taxi would be to get our(my team) songs heard by the right ears(managers, A&Rs) primarily in the US(We're based in Scandinavia) in the genre and magnitude of Britney, PCD, Rihanna and so forth since it's the music we have the most fun writing and producing so I guess Jesse McCartney would be the closest shot I've heard of connected to Taxi in this thread and if there are more success-stories in the genre, since the start of Taxi, I'd love to be made aware.We already have a publishing deal with a major label but I'm just scouting the surroundings for another way into the US market.Most leads on taxi seem to be TV-deals and that is not of interest to us but hopefully there'll be more leads in our category dropping in if we decide to join Taxi.All feedback is greatly appreciated since I'm having a bit of trouble deciding : )Thank youD

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm

The best advice I can give you is check the Taxi listings every 2 weeks and keep track of how many listings that would interest you there are.I recently did a stat going back a few months and found that there are actually as many listings by artists/publishers/A&R looking for songs as there are film/tv listings.Any music forwarded to listings by major publishers/A&R/managers will land on the listing party's desk as solicited material and definitely will have the ear of that individual...of course there's no guarantee they'll like it...Then again, if you are signed to a major publisher in Scandinavia they should be able to get your music in front of decision makers in the US...otherwise what are they doing for their publisher's share?