Battling Emotion...

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kamda

Battling Emotion...

Post by kamda » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey all,You seem like a great group of people, so I'll share.I joined TAXI a year ago because I'm impulsive and don't think things through. I read the testimonials of all of the successful people, paid my money, and submitted some music. For the past couple of years, I have composed music and posted it in various genres to online music services. It has always fetched me what I call my "coffee money". Perhaps, I thought, it was time to try swimming with the big(ger) fish.The reviews were scathing. Not only was I not the composer and producer I thought I was, but clearly the bigger pond was brutal and unkind. So with tail between my legs, I shut down any and all submissions. I would let the year run out, and satisfy myself with other pursuits.A couple of months later, I happened to see some listings that looked promising. So, while holding my breath and putting on my best teflon suit, I submitted. Oh look! So THIS is what it means to get FORWARDED.Many more months of quiet...and then...an email from someone wanting to use a track on a compilation album in a far off land.Hey, I thought, at least it will begin to recoup the expense of paying for humiliation.At this point, I began to get the messages from TAXI about renewing my subscription. Patience and persistence beyond a single year seemed to be a deciding factor between the successful and unsuccessful.No, I think I'll leave it.Oh look! A 'Music Library' wants to sign a track. Oh look! They wonder if I have any more material. Half a dozen songs later, I anxiously await the release of the company's next round of tunes.Does TAXI plan it this way?So I might be a glutton for punishment, but I just paid for my subscription renewal. Perhaps I will be counted one day among the successful. At the very least, my skin will be many times thicker. Kudos to you all who have played the game far longer than I have. You have my respect.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Battling Emotion...

Post by crs7string » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Congratulations on your decision making and welcome to the forum.Everyone here has gone thru what you have described. After a while the process of submissions, forwards and returns does become less emotional.I view this process as a numbers game. The more returns you have, most likely the more forwards you will have, assuming the quality of submissions is there.I purposely joined TAXI with a three year membership so I would not have to evaluate after one year.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Oct 1, 2008, 3:28pm, kamda wrote:Hey all,You seem like a great group of people, so I'll share.I joined TAXI a year ago because I'm impulsive and don't think things through. I read the testimonials of all of the successful people, paid my money, and submitted some music. For the past couple of years, I have composed music and posted it in various genres to online music services. It has always fetched me what I call my "coffee money". Perhaps, I thought, it was time to try swimming with the big(ger) fish.The reviews were scathing. Not only was I not the composer and producer I thought I was, but clearly the bigger pond was brutal and unkind. After joining Taxi, it took me a year and a half to get my music to the point where it was "useful". I didn't see the process as "brutal and unkind". Actually it was educational and helpful. That process continues... staying in contention in any game takes constant attention.Quote:Many more months of quiet...and then...an email from someone wanting to use a track on a compilation album in a far off land.At this point, I began to get the messages from TAXI about renewing my subscription. Patience and persistence beyond a single year seemed to be a deciding factor between the successful and unsuccessful.Oh look! A 'Music Library' wants to sign a track. Oh look! They wonder if I have any more material. Half a dozen songs later, I anxiously await the release of the company's next round of tunes.Does TAXI plan it this way?You're doing W-A-Y too much thinking here. It is what it is. You joined Taxi, you got some forwards, and you've gotten a few deals... but you post as if you're miserable. The one thing that you, everyone has to understand... once the forwarded music leaves the Taxi office, Taxi has NOTHING to do with the outcome. My deals have ranged from three weeks to two years following a forward. Having had those deals, I know the companies involved and believe me, they don't adjust their schedule to Taxi, that's for sure. I suggest this website to pep you up a might... www.despair.comIt's actually one of my favorites. Dave

stoney
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stoney » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:58 am

Call me a cynical brit (or is that git) but Kamda's comments read like someone writing copy as apposed to someone writing from the heart? Maybe I just read it that way?