More String Choices

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

More String Choices

Post by remmet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

In addition to LASS and Hollywood Strings, here's another contender in the high-end sampled string libraries, Audio Impressions' 70DVZ Strings:

http://www.audioimpressions.com/how-it- ... st-easiest

Here's their demo page:

http://www.audioimpressions.com/demos/music

And here's a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvGrrYspes

So many choices!

Richard

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: More String Choices

Post by guitaroboe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Sure!

has anyone at Taxi purchased and used the DVZ library? I'm very curious to find out!

there's also
www.cinematicstrings.com

Adonis

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow...that's really good!

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 pm

When it first came out it was multi thousands of dollars and needed a dedicated computer. The price has come WAY down from when it was first released but I would seriously consider dedicating a computer to running the library, which will add to the cost.

I went to the VisionDAW turnkey system page and the total with computer was 3700.00.

Quality doesn't come cheap!

Cinematic Strings looks good too. Would be a good addition to other libraries.

Check out the detail in the "South By Southwest" score for the demo that was done with the library. This is the level of detail that's needed no matter what library one is using! The library, of course, sounds great, but in this guys hands, it really sings. Composers, this is the bar!!

http://cdn.audioimpressions.com/DVZ-SxSW-Score.pdf
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 pm

So I've just poured through all this information. That is really bad ass. I was about to buy LASS but I really am not so sure at all right now. It obviously will need a dedicated computer. I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this again, but I think its time to bring windows back into the fold. I'm a little blinded by love right now, so feel free to talk me down, but that thing is really sophisticated looking. Loading a 70 piece string section with multiple desks sampled and mixable, all articulations at the same time and be able to control pitch spread between desks and on and on and on. Is this thing real? Does anyone have any real experience with this??

I'll drop the 3600 if that setup is legit and it can be all accessed in one load with no dropouts and I can really pipe that power into my existing setup and access East/West with my main DAW like I can now. But I'd like to hear some real world experience with this if anyone has it.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

fusilierb wrote:That is really bad ass.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love that...Audio Impressions should use that quote on their website. :lol:

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 am

fusilierb wrote:So I've just poured through all this information. That is really bad ass. I was about to buy LASS but I really am not so sure at all right now. It obviously will need a dedicated computer. I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this again, but I think its time to bring windows back into the fold. I'm a little blinded by love right now, so feel free to talk me down, but that thing is really sophisticated looking. Loading a 70 piece string section with multiple desks sampled and mixable, all articulations at the same time and be able to control pitch spread between desks and on and on and on. Is this thing real? Does anyone have any real experience with this??

I'll drop the 3600 if that setup is legit and it can be all accessed in one load with no dropouts and I can really pipe that power into my existing setup and access East/West with my main DAW like I can now. But I'd like to hear some real world experience with this if anyone has it.
I would contact Audio Impressions directly and also the computer vendors. I have a Vision DAW and can attest to the fact that they are very responsive to questions. I would also check to see if forums on the internet have been talking about the system.

It appears that they recommend that a separate computer be used to run the strings and also they are coming out with other sections of the orchestra in 2011. This could be a very good system to have going forward. I wouldn't be too concerned about going Windows because the computer will really just be a sample playback machine without all the "baggage" that comes along with having a general purpose machine of any stripe (Mac or Windows) and trying to do audio on it at the same time. Just dedicate it to your strings and forget that it's a computer. Only connect it to the internet when its time to do some upgrades. It's an instrument that happens to have the ghost of greedy Microsoft on it only for the time you see the boot up screen. After that, it's just your string section (metaphorically speaking).
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:22 am

mazz wrote:
fusilierb wrote:So I've just poured through all this information. That is really bad ass. I was about to buy LASS but I really am not so sure at all right now. It obviously will need a dedicated computer. I never thought I'd ever hear myself say this again, but I think its time to bring windows back into the fold. I'm a little blinded by love right now, so feel free to talk me down, but that thing is really sophisticated looking. Loading a 70 piece string section with multiple desks sampled and mixable, all articulations at the same time and be able to control pitch spread between desks and on and on and on. Is this thing real? Does anyone have any real experience with this??

I would contact Audio Impressions directly and also the computer vendors. I have a Vision DAW and can attest to the fact that they are very responsive to questions. I would also check to see if forums on the internet have been talking about the system.

It appears that they recommend that a separate computer be used to run the strings and also they are coming out with other sections of the orchestra in 2011. This could be a very good system to have going forward. I wouldn't be too concerned about going Windows because the computer will really just be a sample playback machine without all the "baggage" that comes along with having a general purpose machine of any stripe (Mac or Windows) and trying to do audio on it at the same time. Just dedicate it to your strings and forget that it's a computer. Only connect it to the internet when its time to do some upgrades. It's an instrument that happens to have the ghost of greedy Microsoft on it only for the time you see the boot up screen. After that, it's just your string section (metaphorically speaking).
Agreed! I don't hate, nor am scared of Windows. I know it very well, which is why I hate it so much. How's that for schizophrenic? :) I'm just kind of stunned by this package. It really seems like they've done everything right. It's an expensive endeavor. The price of the samples isn't too much more than other libaries I've been eyeing, but this really requires a new machine (not the macbook pro I bought thinking that was the slave). But damn. That's the most impressive thing I've seen/heard by a long shot. I've built many windows machines from scratch in the past and will price the differences out, but I'm not all that intersted in fighting a machine at this point in time to save a few penny's. So if this is a legit package that works as advertised from vision DAW I'll kick them the cash for a real workable string section. I've got some more investigating to do. But even if I never make a dime for my investment, I'd pay that much cash to have access to a 70 piece string section that I could write for at will for the rest of my life.

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:38 am

When I checked this out, the thought of having to buy a new computer was very sobering. (Or maybe it was time for a drink or two.) But as I sit here night after night, year after year, fussing and fiddling with constant articulation loading and unloading, having all sounds and articulations available at once would be well worth the cost. And as Mazz mentioned, this company is coming out with other orchestral libraries, so there's a lot to look forward to.

Richard