Copyright summary

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vasek.g3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Copyright summary

Post by vasek.g3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 am

shanegrla wrote:I would scratch off #2. The "envelope" system is a myth. I've heard that sending it to yourself doesn't do any good at all. At least, it doesn't hold up in a court of law.
Hello Shane,
thanks for your info. I heard and read similar things to this option ("envelope" system).
The main reason why I mentioned it is the availability and the cost.
I agree with the court of law. The effectivity of this system seems to be really low.
I personally used this method at the beginning, at the moment I´m looking
for something more suitable. I would leave this option in brackets If you mind,
just as a memory of its existence...

vasek.g3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vasek.g3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:40 am

Hookjaw Brown wrote:I wait till I have 7 - 10 songs and then send them in to the US Copyright Office for $35 a batch via electronic submission. You can check on the progress via the web. I feel that once the copyright office has the songs in their system I am good to go. The nice parchment that comes in the mail several months after submission is cool to touch though.

I could be wrong.
Hello Mr. Brown,
thanks for your respond. As to my opinion: The US Library of Congress seems to me as a good option.
I´m not a lawyer and don´t have any personal experience with this system, but what I read and heard
from other friendly people, I wouldn´t say you are wrong. The US copyright system seems to me as
one of the most "prepared" and well handled solution for its purpose.

The only thing where I´m a bit unsure is the time, after you get the "paper" in your hands.
I personally would use online way - electronic submission too...

vasek.g3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vasek.g3 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I would say the summary became more exact, thanks to all responders for interest and help!
I`m still here, at the moment busy, but I´ll try to add some more useful info. ;)

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm

shanegrla wrote:I would scratch off #2. The "envelope" system is a myth. I've heard that sending it to yourself doesn't do any good at all. At least, it doesn't hold up in a court of law.
I don't think you're 100% correct . . .

Anything that provides a dated verification of authorship can be submitted legally for proof of copyright, this includes a certified letter to yourself. BUT you can't sue for damages unless your copyright has been filed with the library of congress.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:58 am

billg1 wrote:Anything that provides a dated verification of authorship can be submitted legally for proof of copyright, this includes a certified letter to yourself. BUT you can't sue for damages unless your copyright has been filed with the library of congress.
+1 YES, that's the distinctive point I also have deducted from a million sources of information..
Ceo of my own life

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 am

billg1 wrote:

Anything that provides a dated verification of authorship can be submitted legally for proof of copyright, this includes a certified letter to yourself. BUT you can't sue for damages unless your copyright has been filed with the library of congress.
Then I'm not sure what would be the point. Because, technically you don't need ANY of these options to own a copyright. The copyright is automatically yours the second you write the song. The whole point of registering it is so you can have it recognized in a court of law (for both offensive or defensive purposes) if it ever comes down to that.
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

vasek.g3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vasek.g3 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19 am

shanegrla wrote:
billg1 wrote:

Then I'm not sure what would be the point. Because, technically you don't need ANY of these options to own a copyright. The copyright is automatically yours the second you write the song. The whole point of registering it is so you can have it recognized in a court of law (for both offensive or defensive purposes) if it ever comes down to that.

ASCAP explanation http://www.ascap.com/musicbiz/copyright_tips.html

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 am

Good article. Pretty much sums up what I thought was the case.
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 pm

If you suspect that someone has ripped off your song you can actually file for copyright at the time of litigation according to sec. 408 of the copyright law. it also states that a court can proceed with litigation on your behalf even if the copyright office denies your claim!

the intellect law group has pretty much the same info. They calim that the poorman's copyright can help to prove authorship and date of creation but cannot be used for litigation and further states that you can apply for copyright protection before you go to court at the extra "expedited" expense. ($610 was their figure).

the truth is that it's really pretty daggone hard to prove someone has ripped off your song.

disclaimer: i don't look like a lawyer

vasek.g3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vasek.g3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

On January 10th starts new course (one of Online courses) at Berklee (Boston).
Its called: Copyright Law (12 weeks)
http://www.berkleemusic.com/school/cour ... _code=3595