So, who's going for the gold? (Global Auto Giant listing)

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

So, who's going for the gold? (Global Auto Giant listing)

Post by vikvik20 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:29 am

I'm working on something now.. I'm probably going to have to outsource the vocals to a guy with an "American voice" but I'll record a version w/ my own pop-voice and submit that too..

Anyone else going for the gold on this one? I'm thinking some big name cover/remake is gonna take it or something but hey at least I'm inspired to write something new and out of my box.. :) Hopefully I can have a preview up by this weekend..

What I like about this one is that it appears to be an almost anything goes with some very specific DON'Ts -- which is very useful. The first sentence cracks me up... Timeless, Hip, yet Contemporary (Not TAXI's fault I know)

Good luck!

-Vic

Major Ad Agency needs an "Inspired, Classic, Timeless, Hip, yet Contemporary" SONG to re-introduce a GLOBAL AUTO BRAND, showing that they are, "Re-worked, slick, refined and very cool." We don't make this stuff up-that was a direct quote from the agency! So is this; "BUDGET IS NOT A CONCERN," for the perfect piece of music. They will consider "re-made [covers of] classics to totally obscure new [Indie] music." You'll need to own the master recording of covers and master/publishing rights on originals. They're NOT looking for, "super-charged, super high-energy, super-hard rocker, or a super slow, dramatic kind of thing, or 80s Cock Rock." Good to know! OUR interpretation is, "Almost anything goes. They'll know it when they hear it, but they need the viewer to feel the positive change when they reveal their new look, feel their pride for bringing such awesome new cars to market, and inspire viewers to buy one of these babies so their friends will be envious that they're hip, cool, and have really neat stuff." Here's a laundry list of descriptors the agency provided us with: "POSITIVE CHANGE, A NEW DAY, DIFFERENCE-WHAT A DIFFERENCE-WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES, GROWTH, PROGRESS, NEW ME, GETTING BETTER, BETTER, IMPROVING, CHANGING LOOKS, A BETTER VIEW, THIS IS THE DAY." Once again, we're just the messengers here. Keep your eye on the prize for what we think could easily be a SIX-FIGURE PAY DAY. Please submit Broadcast-Quality (great home recordings are fine) full-length SONGS that are easy to edit, and you must own 100% of the master and composition rights. The company has requested that we don't give out their company name. If you ARE chosen, they will contact you. THE AGENCY WILL NOTIFY US OF ANY MEMBERS WHO CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY, AND YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Please submit up to (3) tracks via CD or online. Submissions will be screened on a YES/NO basis; there will be NO TAXI CRITQUES. Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, January 12, 2011. TAXI #Y110112HC
I'll settle for 5 minutes instead of 15.
http://www.taxi.com/UnstarMusic

peeyo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: So, who's going for the gold? (Global Auto Giant listing)

Post by peeyo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey Vic,
Good luck on this one. I'm going to give it a go as well. It does seem like anything goes on this.........It's just going to take a killer song that the agency and company can't refuse. We're up against some top notch writers on this one, so we have to really bring it!
Best of luck, it'll be interesting to hear what people come up with.
Paul

gtrmann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gtrmann » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello Vic,
I was going to see of I can come up with something on this one too, It will give me a good opportunity to try some target writing.......
Bruce Wendel
Song Wronger

Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by current

Taxi
Soundcloud
Amp Repair | Sound System
Cover band

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vikvik20 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeahh I told myself that in 2011 I was going to target write now that I know how to use my sequencing software and all that stuff.. I guess this is the first opportunity.

I think we all know the odds but you know what, if you get a new song out of it and get out of your head and your box, and possibly even a forward then that's a pretty damn good deal.

-vic

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:28 am

I decided to take the gold hunting plunge as well. With time nearing, I've been improving mixes ALL day long. (The snow helped me have the excuse to stay in though)

BUT, I have a quick question. I have been submitting to a lot of the dispatch as of late, and alas, I can't remember if there is a "time" deadline for the normal listings. It says deadline is Wed, Jan 12th...but no specific time given. Does that mean I have until tomorrow night? Thanks...and good luck to everyone! I'd love for a Taxi member to take this one.
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vikvik20 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 am

According to the print out i have it says midnight of weds -- today ...

good luck!

boatrider
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boatrider » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 am

yes, I believe it's due by Midnight tonight....
best of luck to y'all

nice...anything goes eh?

a little more work on my track ...
studio time is getting expensive:
I have to pay my wife to take the kids to the museum or something so I can record in our living room...
Cheers!
Mysha Caruso

Kites & Crows -http://www.kitesandcrows.net
Taxi Page - http://www.taxi.com/myshacaruso

sethlit
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sethlit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Welp! I finished. I ended up going with a cover. I'm not certain I stuck with the "getting better" theme but like you guys said, anything seems to go. I covered Charlie Small's "Ease on down the road" from The Wiz, but with a sort of acoustic funk approach. I love these deadlines...they actually get me to say "I'm done" and move on. I'd love to hear what you guys think...and good luck!!!

song: "Ease on down the road (cover)"

Taxi.com/sethlit
Seth Littlefield
http://www.SethLittlefield.com
My Taxi Page

Image Image Image

"We seek not rest but transformation.
We are dancing through each other as doorways."
-Marge Piercy

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DonaldM » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Well, I threw one into the ring...we'll see. I had actually just completed a song when I saw the listing. With "anything goes", its tough to know. But, hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? Best wishes to all who submitted. I sincerely hope a Taxi member gets this one...that would be awesome!!! :D :D :D

vikvik20
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vikvik20 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Ahh shux... I couldn't finish my entry to my satisfaction in time... I listen to my stuff w/ a very objective and critical ear, and I just wasn't having the magic.. I needed more time to bake sincerity in the song, the mix, etc so I passed on it.. I didn't hear anything significantly above average, so I figured I'll just be paying for a diplomatic return..

What I am glad about is that I have a very good generic song for going forward, and for once I wrote outside of my box. This entry was a pleasure and a pain to write for, but I'm very pleased w/ the results.. I know it will find a home in the not so distant future.

Good luck to those who were able to realize their vision and submit! I hope one of you takes it..