another Bossa Nova

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

another Bossa Nova

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:27 pm

this tune that I have often submitted and steadily improved for the listing below. ANY feedback welcome. This is a genre I love but have not had any success getting forwards in....

Thanks in advance for listening to "Bossa For Denise"

http://www.taxi.com/strattonmusic

AUTHENTIC SOUNDING BOSSA NOVA INSTRUMENTALS in the wide range a la Luiz Bonfa, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Tamba Trio, Bebel Gilberto, etc. urgently needed by the Owner of a Music Production Library for use in film/TV/commercials. This production music veteran has signed dozens of TAXI writers to his previous company, and has had considerable success in creating some of the most successful music libraries in the industry. The purest form of this Brazilian genre is typically stripped down,with acoustic guitar being the primary instrument, but an underlying piano and percussive element can be added for a bit of spice. The key words here are AUTHENTIC SOUNDING! They said, and we quote, "All tracks submitted would need to be at least 2 minutes in length. No key changes. Must have composed endings - no fade-outs." This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential.

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: another Bossa Nova

Post by teleblaster » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Paul,
Very nice chill bossa. My only suggestions are:

-The guitar doesn't shout, 'I'm an acoustic', At least on my laptop speakers, it has the kind of attack and 'bloom' consistent with an elec. guitar with a clean tone.
- The overall production might be too refined for this listing. I didn't listen to all the ala's though. Bonfa, Jobim and Gilberto records tended to have a more organic/raw sound.

All that said, this is a new genre for me with TAXI so the grain of salt rule is in full effect.

nice work, thanks for posting this one.

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:04 pm

teleblaster wrote:Hi Richard,
Very nice chill bossa. My only suggestions are:

-The guitar doesn't shout, 'I'm an acoustic', At least on my laptop speakers, it has the kind of attack and 'bloom' consistent with an elec. guitar with a clean tone.
- The overall production might be too refined for this listing. I didn't listen to all the ala's though. Bonfa, Jobim and Gilberto records tended to have a more organic/raw sound.

All that said, this is a new genre for me with TAXI so the grain of salt rule is in full effect.

nice work, thanks for posting this one.

Yes Erich...perhaps you've hit the nail on the head ...my sound might be too refined for the genre - not organic enough perhaps.... hmmm... BTW it's a hand made George Lowden concert classical that actually has that much sustain.
Last edited by kitchensinkmusic on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:21 pm

I don't know anything about the genre but I like the track. I'm thinking you could get a bit more organic with another bass sound. If not an upright maybe a fretless electric would help the vibe. The sound as it is now sounds is very smooth . . . almost like organ foot pedals, which isn't a bad thing . . . just trying to help with the organic factor.

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 am

good idea Bill....I'll try out some uprights....

onelight24
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onelight24 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi Richard, really nice track! I believe the guitar sounds quite good, very clean playing! When I interpret authentic sounding bossa with guitar, I think of Joe Pass, or Charlie Byrd! These guys played clean yet also stretched the melody at times. They also played a chorus or two of chordal type melodies as way of soloing.

Just a few thoughts!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vincent!

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:28 am

Ahh...good idea Vincent. I had a wandering piano solo before but I took the section out....now I'll go back and try some guitar padding there. Thanks for listening.
Last edited by kitchensinkmusic on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWD
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SWD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 am

Hi Richard....

Very nice track... cool way too wake up.... crash @ .28 secs seems a tad hot... hard to tell but it perked my ears up first time through....

Not familar with the genre but I was looking for more expressive guitar... see if I can explain this.... little 1 beat 8 and 16th note licks before the melody line.... does that make sense?? Maybe not the whole way through but one section for some contrast??

I might think of trimming it down a minute or so to 2:15.... they ask for 2 mins minimum so my thought is no need to go to far over that... keep the longer version for libraries.

My thoughts... thanks for the listen!!

Peace, Geo
You can call me Geo.

howlindog
Impressive
Impressive

Post by howlindog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Richard,

I think your song pretty much nails this listing - it sounds Jobim and Gilberto to me, especially in composition. I submitted a tune titled "The Wedding Song" to this listing which I've had forwarded before for other listings and I'd choose your tune over mine for sure. (Wedding's a little too quick to really be considered a Bossa, but even considering that I think I'd forward your tune first.) My only suggestion would be to break up the guitar a bit, either with some Joe Pass-like chordal riffs or a solo as someone else mentioned, a Wes Montomery pass at the head or solo, or even as you mentioned a piano playing the head or solo. Just something a little different for 8 to 16 bars. Very nice work.

Good luck,
Don

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:16 am

thanks for listening Don and Geo and the kind words....I'm incorporating all your ideas except shortening the tune.....