I think pro tools has an evil brain of its own.

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: I think pro tools has an evil brain of its own.

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:30 pm

sethlit wrote:Dwayne-
That's funny, I was just looking into the Lynx Aurora 8 ch. I was also reading somewhere that Black Lion is coming out with something new that is supposed to be killer. Maybe with Namm 11' gear being released, prices on the old stuff may drop?

The more I research, the more I think I should save up for the Aurora 8. Besides...it would be a nice write off after all ;)

I'm definitely to the point of really wanting to dive in and do it right. I have always felt that my mixes have lacked that "thickness", "space" to them. While, I'm sure that improving my engineering skills will help, it sure would be nice to work with good A/D conversion. Up till now, I have been hearing the Mbox2's conversions. I have way too many projects ahead of me to not justify spending the investment.

Thanks for the advice! It might be a month or so, but I'll keep you posted with which A/D I end up going with. Now...WIN7, and to start reading up on Cubase 6. :D

kitchensinkmusic-

Thanks for the link, I'm signing up. Perfect day/time for me as well.

I have to say, this forum rocks. You guys are amazing. :)
Right on Man!!

I was thinking of building a mobile rig myself. The Aurora would be my choice for sure.

I think you are discovering what many home studios find out. That converter matters when you are trying to get the high fidelity. The top end clarity and low end punch CANT be achieved properly with out good conversion. No amount of EQ or anything can replace something that is not there to begin with.

Save up your money and do it right. Way to go!

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Dwayne Russell wrote:
sethlit wrote:Dwayne-
That's funny, I was just looking into the Lynx Aurora 8 ch. I was also reading somewhere that Black Lion is coming out with something new that is supposed to be killer. Maybe with Namm 11' gear being released, prices on the old stuff may drop?

The more I research, the more I think I should save up for the Aurora 8. Besides...it would be a nice write off after all ;)

I'm definitely to the point of really wanting to dive in and do it right. I have always felt that my mixes have lacked that "thickness", "space" to them. While, I'm sure that improving my engineering skills will help, it sure would be nice to work with good A/D conversion. Up till now, I have been hearing the Mbox2's conversions. I have way too many projects ahead of me to not justify spending the investment.

Thanks for the advice! It might be a month or so, but I'll keep you posted with which A/D I end up going with. Now...WIN7, and to start reading up on Cubase 6. :D

kitchensinkmusic-

Thanks for the link, I'm signing up. Perfect day/time for me as well.

I have to say, this forum rocks. You guys are amazing. :)
Right on Man!!

I was thinking of building a mobile rig myself. The Aurora would be my choice for sure.

I think you are discovering what many home studios find out. That converter matters when you are trying to get the high fidelity. The top end clarity and low end punch CANT be achieved properly with out good conversion. No amount of EQ or anything can replace something that is not there to begin with.

Save up your money and do it right. Way to go!
You're so right, but If you're thinking of a mobile rig a used Radar system would probably serve you better. you would get converters that a lot of pros prefer over the Aurora PLUS a recording unit. 20k plus new, but used RADAR II systems show up on ebay for around 4k.

It's really amazing how many really BIG studios still uses these systems because of the awesome converters. Daniel Lanois uses Radar to track and dumps the tracks to Cubase, David Lowery (Cracker etc, produced some Counting crows stuff) has two Radar II units in his studio in Richmond & he dumps to Pro Tools. I have a friend that's a studio bass session guy in Nashville and he told me that most of the studios he records in at least pass through Radar converters. If I was putting together a mobile system it would a no brainer first choice.

there are many users that I know of not listed-
http://www.izcorp.com/community-locator.php

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 pm

billg1 wrote:
Dwayne Russell wrote: You're so right, but If you're thinking of a mobile rig a used Radar system would probably serve you better. you would get converters that a lot of pros prefer over the Aurora PLUS a recording unit. 20k plus new, but used RADAR II systems show up on ebay for around 4k.

It's really amazing how many really BIG studios still uses these systems because of the awesome converters. Daniel Lanois uses Radar to track and dumps the tracks to Cubase, David Lowery (Cracker etc, produced some Counting crows stuff) has two Radar II units in his studio in Richmond & he dumps to Pro Tools. I have a friend that's a studio bass session guy in Nashville and he told me that most of the studios he records in at least pass through Radar converters. If I was putting together a mobile system it would a no brainer first choice.

there are many users that I know of not listed-
http://www.izcorp.com/community-locator.php
Tuchea there man! As far as I am concerned they are the best!

Last I priced an 8 channel system it was $15,000. If you know of an 8 channel system for under ten grand, let me know.

You're right. The top studios that know use Radar. It does not get any better than that!

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

here ya go Dwayne . . . 24 tracks of Radar ADA. Use the entire system for a remote rig, plus when your in your studio you can pass through the converters on the way to Cubase. OR just track to Radar and dump the files into Cubase. All under 5k and you'll have the same basic system as Daniel Lanois and a bunch of other big-timers! BTW, IZ corp. still provides parts, maintenance, repairs, and support for all of the older units from what I gather & just had a software upgrade last year. 24 tracks of Radar ADA for under 5k is insane if you have the $$ to spend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTARI-RADAR-II-Remo ... 901wt_1139

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm

billg1 wrote:here ya go Dwayne . . . 24 tracks of Radar ADA. Use the entire system for a remote rig, plus when your in your studio you can pass through the converters on the way to Cubase. OR just track to Radar and dump the files into Cubase. All under 5k and you'll have the same basic system as Daniel Lanois and a bunch of other big-timers! BTW, IZ corp. still provides parts, maintenance, repairs, and support for all of the older units from what I gather & just had a software upgrade last year. 24 tracks of Radar ADA for under 5k is insane if you have the $$ to spend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTARI-RADAR-II-Remo ... 901wt_1139

Thanks!!!!!

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Yep, RADAR's a great option, if you want to jes' bypass that whole pro-sumer mess entirely. It speaks volumes that dedicated pro-only outfits like Mercenary Audio won't sell any other turnkey DAW systems. I'm learning that the main reason ProTools has been dinged for sound quality all these years (mostly by pro mixers) is because of the former lack of plugin delay compensation on their non-HD rigs which caused massive phase problems for noobs that knew no better. This is one reason why P/T 9 is such a big deal.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:57 pm

mojobone wrote:Yep, RADAR's a great option, if you want to jes' bypass that whole pro-sumer mess entirely. It speaks volumes that dedicated pro-only outfits like Mercenary Audio won't sell any other turnkey DAW systems. I'm learning that the main reason ProTools has been dinged for sound quality all these years (mostly by pro mixers) is because of the former lack of plugin delay compensation on their non-HD rigs which caused massive phase problems for noobs that knew no better. This is one reason why P/T 9 is such a big deal.

Yup, I've seen several Radar systems pop up on eBay for under 5k, unfortunately not when I've had 5k. I don't even think of Radar in the same context as Pro Tools (or any Daw for that matter). I just look at it as a front end for tracking. Every time I hear recordings that really floor me I learn that it's either tape or Radar. And to be honest, I can't tell the difference between a zillion dollars of outboard gear to tape and Radar.

watksco
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by watksco » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 am

sethlit wrote:I've got a pretty nice setup I7-860 processor with 8gig memory, WinXP. And I want to upgrade to Win 7, but I'm pretty nervous about its compatibility with Pro Tools. Not to mention...it would be nice to audio edit/record in 64 bit, so I can utilize all of my memory (which Pro tools doesn't do). I do use Kontakt 4 and superior drummer 2, which would hopefully be okay with Win7 64bit too. Man! Maybe old school tape with session players is the way to go. :D
You need to go here:
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Check ur system specs etc. against compatability docs etc...

I'd be looking to upgrade to PT9 if I were you - PT is by far one of the most intuitive packages out there - Cubase'll do ur head in and you'll lose valuable creative time...research system requirements - post ur setup on the forum - the guys 'n gals there will set you straight.

Cheers,

Scott
"Art is never finished, just left in interesting places" Van Gogh

http://www.reverbnation.com/wakingeden
http://www.reverbnation.com/scottwatkins

Dwayne Russell
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Dwayne Russell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:42 am

watksco wrote:
sethlit wrote:I've got a pretty nice setup I7-860 processor with 8gig memory, WinXP. And I want to upgrade to Win 7, but I'm pretty nervous about its compatibility with Pro Tools. Not to mention...it would be nice to audio edit/record in 64 bit, so I can utilize all of my memory (which Pro tools doesn't do). I do use Kontakt 4 and superior drummer 2, which would hopefully be okay with Win7 64bit too. Man! Maybe old school tape with session players is the way to go. :D
You need to go here:
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Check ur system specs etc. against compatability docs etc...

I'd be looking to upgrade to PT9 if I were you - PT is by far one of the most intuitive packages out there - Cubase'll do ur head in and you'll lose valuable creative time...research system requirements - post ur setup on the forum - the guys 'n gals there will set you straight.

Cheers,

Scott

I could not disagree more.

kitchensinkmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kitchensinkmusic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:17 am

FYI...Cubase 6 can quantize many audio tracks in one operation so a live performance that has tempo issues can now be corrected (including multiple drum tracks with room mics). Also if you don't want to correct it and you like the rubato of a performance you can tell it to map the tempo changes and voila you'll have a grid that accurately reflects the tempo changes.

The only reason I say Cubase is a pain to learn is because the software is so advanced it takes a while to discover everything it can do. I've been working with it about 30 hours a week for 15 months and there are still whole sections of the thing I haven't mastered or even cracked open. Most of these relate to MIDI but there are still quite a few audio operations I haven't gotten around to using. I'm planning on upgrading to 6 (from 5.5) but not right this minute.