Question about a DISPATCH listing

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dmc5

Question about a DISPATCH listing

Post by dmc5 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I just received this DISPATCH Listing from TAXI.

30 to 60 SECOND ROCK TYPE INSTRUMENTAL CUES a la shows similar to Access Hollywood, etc., needed by a Full Service Music Publishing Company with a solid relationship to a Major Network for use in multiple shows! They said, and we quote: "The network uses over 100 cues per day, 5 days a week, so the possibility of much of this material (from TAXI) being used is VERY HIGH." This company offers an exclusive deal. Broadcast quality needed (excellent home recordings are okay). Please submit one to three instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than 2:00PM (PST) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. TAXI #D110316RC

My question: Do they want me to edit my songs to 30/60 seconds or send a full song?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Question about a DISPATCH listing

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 pm

It reads to me like they want you to submit cues in the 30-60 second range so yes, you would have to edit exisiting tracks to that length or write new ones.

Good luck!
:) Casey

dmc5

Post by dmc5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Casey H.

jeremywray

Post by jeremywray » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 am

There's a good piece on creating "cutdowns" in this article in SOS magazine, in particular scroll down to the section "Creating Cutdowns":

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/a ... music2.htm

Hope it helps...

J

dmc5

Post by dmc5 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks J. I'll check it out.

T&V Marino
Impressive
Impressive

Post by T&V Marino » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Hello,

Yes, if the company is asking for 30/60 edits, you HAVE to give them songs or cues that are cut down to that length, not the full song. Anyone can submit a full-length song, but not everyone can do QUALITY, perfectly-timed 30/60 edits of that same song. It's almost as if it's a "weeding out" process for those who can do this type of thing on a regular basis because it can be very challenging to do well.

Some tips to consider: there is a lot of confusion about "how long" to make the cues. For example, one company we work with likes a 30-cue to ring out at 30.5 seconds. Another company likes us to end at 29.5 seconds. Yet another requires that the cue end and ring out at EXACTLY 30 seconds. In this case (because there are no clear directions in the Dispatch Listing), we'd probably opt to do it this way just to show that we can follow basic directions!

Another tip is: you absolutely can't have a fade-out ending. It must be a hard, solid, "bump" or "button ending," as some companies say. The logical explanation is because the Music Editor can always "fade out" the song, but they can't always attach a solid ending. And ending on the tonic (if you're in the key of C, you end the song on a C chord) is preferred instead of getting artsy or creative.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

~ Tracey & Vance Marino
It's who you know -- and who knows you!
http://www.SongMakerPro.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm not submitting to this listing but if you are, it might be a good idea to check with Taxi and make sure they are accepting cues in the RANGE of 30 to 60 seconds length, not exactly 30 or 60 seconds which is more common.

:) Casey

dmc5

Post by dmc5 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:19 pm

I checked out this article, http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/a ... music2.htm
Posted by jeremywray.
Excellent. Excellent!
Thanks for the information.

dmc5

Post by dmc5 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Also like to thank T&V Marino for the advice in their posting. This is the first time I've submitted an "edited" piece of music, so all of this info really helps.
Thanks everyone.