Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

simstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

MasterWriter software

Post by simstar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi,
Has anyone tried MasterWriter software for lyric writing?
Just curious if it has helped out.

lucy

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: MasterWriter software

Post by Kolstad » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I use it all the time. It doesn't feel as a revolutionary piece of software, it's very simple and has limited options for rhymes ect. They could have saved half the functionality for me (like the recording stuff), and I wish it had more options for dictionaries ect. So to me, it kinda feels dated. But fact is, that it really has done wonders for my lyric writing process. It's very easy to kick off a lyric, and return to it for rewrites, so I don't care about the drawbacks of it.

I just love MasterWriter, and won't do without it! Hopefully it develops over time, but works for me now and having the books beside my computer really helps to supplement it.
Ceo of my own life

Esther
Active
Active

Post by Esther » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Yes, I use it all the time.

It's not very beautifully designed and a bit slow. I don't use some of the functions, like keeping my lyric ideas in the software and recording some audio there.

But the different dictionaries, phrase collections, etc. are amazing. I couldn't write lyrics without it anymore.

It's quite expensive: $150-200 usually. There's an option to pay about $10 a month for a license though.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 am

I use it for a rhyming dictionary and thesaurus mainly. I really like the way the rhyming dictionary is structured and the thesaurus is handy.
To be honest I never investigated computer rhyming dictionaries, I don't like book rhyming dictionaries at all. You can import a stereo file of the music, but I just prefer to stay in cubase, and switch windows when I need the dictionary or thesaurus. If I had to do it over again I would probably try to find a similar rhyming dictionary in software and a software thesaurus or maybe a software suite of reference books for less money.
I just googled software rhyming dictionary, and found this for $29.95. It's a rhyming dictionary and thesaurus.
http://www.musesmuse.com/rhyming_dictionary.html
For storing song ideas and general outlining I like liguid story binder, it's mostly for book writers but it is flexible. There is a notecard program I downloaded, but for supposedly a simple program using virtual index cards, I couldn't figure it out,lol! Liquid story binder is more flexible than masterwriter, I just noticed it has a thesaurus, you can also import an mp3.
It's half off for $22.98. http://www.blackobelisksoftware.com/index.html
So I suppose the bottom line imo. is that you can do far more and be a lot more flexible and save money, by assembling what you need and like with other software. I notice they have a sale going on for $149, but for near the same money, if you bought the above two softwares
and even a program like songframe, for $99, you would cover the same ground and then some!
http://www.tanageraudioworks.com/Products/SongFrame
I noticed they have a 10 day free trial, that is probably the best way to try these things out, usually you can tell in a few minutes whether they will work for you or not.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

simstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by simstar » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks guys,
You have been very helpful!

Lucy

guitarhacker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitarhacker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:35 pm

I also have it. It updates from time to time, and some words have 15+ pages of rhymes.

I have used it to find interesting words and phrases.

I also find it convenient to use and the tech support is slow if you must leave a message but one you get the live people, it;s top notch.

I like the SONGUARD copyright protection feature.
http://www.herbhartley.com

http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=28574

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo DaVinci

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I did a trial of the software and, for ME PERSONALLY, it didn't go with my work style. However a lot of folks really like the program.

I'm pretty sure they are running a big sale right now until Jan 1 where you can get it for $149. Also, you can download a 30 day trial.

One website that is free and comes in handy is www.rhymezone.com. It has rhymes, thesaurus, synonyms, etc. The only thing it doesn't have that I really need is imperfect and close rhymes. Many songs use non-exact rhymes and I enjoy using them.

:) Casey

maryshaw
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by maryshaw » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 am

I just started using it regularly and like it a lot. I still do most of my writing in a paper notebook, but find MasterWriter is an excellent brainstorming and researching tool. The pop culture feature hooks in to sites like Wikipedia which can be very useful.
It's never too late to follow your bliss!
https://www.maryshawmusic.com

crica888

Post by crica888 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 pm

I used it in the past, but it is not really reliable. It has some bugs.
just me

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 pm

I know this thread was started quite awhile ago, but I thought I'd give another +1 for MasterWriter. I really like it.

Unlike some of the others who posted earlier, I do use the recording feature from time to time to record a potential melody. Usually it's when I have a sudden melodic idea, where I don't want to pull out the mic, and switch over to Logic Pro, etc. If a good idea pops into my head, all I have to do is hit "record" and sing. MasterWriter pics up the sound from my iMac's built-in speaker. True, the audio quality isn't useful for the final tracks, but it sure is great for getting the ideas recorded quickly. :)