Country deal and irony

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Country deal and irony

Post by hummingbird » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:55 am

Quote:Also would you reccomend any demo service in particular? I've been looking into Paramount, who also offer co-writers, which I'm thinking would be a good idea to take my songs over the bar. If it's the Paramount I'm thinking of, avoid them at all costs.If you are looking for co-writers, post here in collaboration or post up music/or lyrics and ask.Don't pay a huge amount of money for demos until you have crossed every t and dotted every i and the Taxi screeners are jumping over themselves because the song is so hot. Nothing's worse than paying out $500++++ for a demo and then being told you need to change the melody or structure or revamp the lyrics.I suggest you start a thread of your own on this topic so you can get some more advice on the subject of co-writing, and of demos. Ideally, you need a co-writer who can also produce.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:55 am

I absolutely agree! There's nothing worse than having to go in and re-cut vocals (or worse, tracks!) when you need to re-write the song. I've had to do it, and it's painful. Plus, a great demo of a song (even a really good one) isn't worth the money unless you are convinced that it's a _great_ song. Of all the songs I write (somewhere between 50 and 100 in a year), I only pick at most 5 songs per quarter to demo. And even then, I'd only demo what I thought was really worth it. If it were only 1 or two, so be it. A word about getting feedback as well. There are lots of folks who'll tell you that your song is good, and who doesn't like to hear that? It's flattering. But, you need to make sure you have your "good ears" people as well, who really know if the song is great or not, and will give it to you straight. You can get the critiques via TAXI, either from a pitch or a custom critique. There are also great hit songwriters who do this for a fee. Also, NSAI provides this service, so does SongU.com. Avoid the "mutual admiration societies". It's nice to support each other and feel good about songwriting, but if you're trying to make money at it, then you need the straight scoop on your songs.

daniel481
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by daniel481 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:57 am

Yeah, the Paramount I'm familiar with is a total no-go...I recorded one of their "writers" in a studio once and he didn't even know what a pre-chorus was. Seriously.

arthurjames
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arthurjames » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:24 am

Okay, stay far away from Paramount!! Thanks Daniel and Hummin'bird for the warning!Sorry about the threadjack, Stan, but thank you (and Hummin'bird) for the advice. Sounds a lot like what I told hiensite on the "no reply=no good?" thread on Peer to Peer. So step 1 is post somethin' up!Thanks again for taking the time to respond and congrats on those songs, Stan.

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Hey Stan!Congrats on the deals!It is so funny to me how people think that TAXI isn't well connected here on music row. I guess it's not surprising since their office is in LA, hell... I even thought maybe their connections were exaggerated.. but one trip to Nashville with Michael Laskow before I moved here TOTALLY made me eat crow. Michael knows SOOO many people here, hitsongwriters, publishers, label presidents, etc. Glad to see people are starting to see the light!On a side note, www.nashvilledemostudio.com is the bomb, and its NOT just because I help out there. Jeffrey Steele and many other great writers record there, in fact Aaron Tippin was in there today!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Congratulations!!!!! Hope you get placements soon, you're on your way.

dayson1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dayson1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Awesome news Stan! Your songs sound fantastic:) Wishing you a big cut!-Dana
Dana