YESSSS! Music library deal!!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

YESSSS! Music library deal!!

Post by ncc1701 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:25 pm

WOO HOO! I just got an e-mail from a music library offering a license agreement for "Liberty Rag!"This is especially cool because this piece originally got returned on a yes/no listing. I started a thread to ask my forum buddies if they thought it would be appropriate to ask TAXI for a one-word reason. The consensus was no, and I was fine with that, but Sebastian (head screener) took notice of the hubbub and offered to have the listing agency give it another listen. I never actually got a notification e-mail from TAXI, but it showed up on my submission history as a forward, and now it's my first deal! So THANK YOU, SEBASTIAN!So now, I just have one question ...WHAT DO I DO NOW?I haven't yet registered the copyright on this song because I can't afford to pay for each one separately - I was waiting to register a whole bunch at once. So I suppose that's one thing.I would guess I also need to register this piece with my PRO.The library will also take a listen to up to two other songs and if they like them, will issue a license agreement for them too. One song I have ready to submit has a co-writer. What do I need to do to make sure everything is clear on that one?Is there a correct order I need to take care of these things?Help help help, please! I just want to make sure I don't screw this up.A great big thank you to everybody who helped me make improvements to this track as well - Matto, bmete, bombaycharlie, stansongman. You guys rock. Or rag, as it were.Kathleen

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: YESSSS! Music library deal!!

Post by hummingbird » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 pm

CONGRATS!! Firstly, I'd wait to get the paperwork/offer in writing before doing anything. Make sure your co-writer is okay with your submissuon of the piece, and is agreeable to the terms being offered.You don't need register the song(s) with your PRO, unless they request otherwise, the music library will do that (that's how they get paid). The music library will need your CAE/IPI number(s). When you get the paperwork, follow their instructions to the letter. As to registering copyright, that's up to you (if you do, use form PA). The music library is going to be administrating your copyright(s) for you for the term of the agreement, and likely they will retitle the piece anyway.HTHHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Katheen.... I am so happy for you, Liberty Rag was excellent and it and you desire the deal.....Bob

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:23 am

SO... the Queen of the high woodwinds has even MORE going on. Kiddo, I'm SO happy for you. Well deserved, and the fact that it was your ragtime piece is just icing on the cake.Way to go.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:25 am

Quote: The music library will need your CAE/IPI number(s). HTHHummin'bird HUH? Vat da chell is dose numbahs you talking about? Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Congratulations Kathleen!!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:13 pm

It's an internationally standardized number assigned to you by your PRO when you join one. Btw not all publishers need it, some like to request it as proof that you are an affiliate of a PRO. Others will only need it if there's possible confusion...like if there are several Ted Foxes affiliated with a PRO, obviously the publisher needs to know which of them is you so they can make sure they register the songs in the correct one's name.

avillaronga
Impressive
Impressive

Post by avillaronga » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Quote:Quote: The music library will need your CAE/IPI number(s). HTHHummin'bird HUH? Vat da chell is dose numbahs you talking about? TedTed,They are the ID numbers each PRO uses to identify you. Most libraries will ask for that so they can make sure to properly register the works with the proper PRO, others (like the one you and I have signed tunes with ) will simply do the extra work of looking you up by name with the PRO so they don't ask you for that number. HTHAntonio

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Btw congratulations Kathleen!...They liked my submission too so I've got a deal as well.Lets hope for a lot of movies and tv shows that need ragtime...

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Kathleen,Congratulations!! I heard your "Liberty Rag" early on when it got returned, and I couldn't figure out why it got returned. But I'm glad everything worked out for ya'. That's some super news!ibanez468