help with deal

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

help with deal

Post by vicky » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:13 am

I wasn't sure where to post this.....I've been contacted for a national distribution deal for my crazy...odd-metered freakout....jazz.....'marketabilty' 5.. CD....It's actually a great CD, but strange to some ears....They are asking me what label I'm on, and since I'm not on one, I haven't responded yet.....what do I do?....do I create a label?tell them what?thanks,Vicky

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: help with deal

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:29 am

sorry, I don't have a helpful answer for you; but DAMN, girl...That's GREAT news. Congrats.I'm certain somebody here can point you in the right direction.Hoping you're doing some serious happy feet moves right now.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Quote:They are asking me what label I'm on, and since I'm not on one, I haven't responded yet.....what do I do?....do I create a label?tell them what?thanks,VickyJust tell them the truth, that it's a self-released CD. That's really very common these days and not likely to catch them off guard.Besides, what good would lying do? If everything works out, you might be entering into a business relationship with these folks, and as with any other relationship, lies are usually not a good idea...

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:09 pm

matto ...wasn't planning on lying...just starting a record label.... After all just started a publishing company ....and I tell all friends when I'm working so hard, that I'm working on my 'company'... thanks...I'll tell them it's self-released.....VTBP

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi Vicky,Once you create your own record/CD, you basically already are your own independent label. So yeah, what matto said-- just tell them you are your own independent label (a common thing these days). And in the future, if you ever want to formalize the record label, you can certainly choose a name, decide what form of business entity it will be (sole proprietorship, LLC, etc.), etc. and give it a more formal business presence. In the meantime, most of the distributors just want to know that it has a barcode and can be easily placed for sales (and if you already have a barcode, it's always good to go ahead and register your CD with soundscan, if you haven't already, as they will help track your retail CD sales). So-- a big congratulations to you, Vicky, on the national distribution deal for your CD!! That's fabulous!! I checked out the interesting metering you used-- very cool! I love odd-metered songs-- they fascinate me... I was listening to a 7-beat (is that what it's called?) song from India today. And I've always loved that catchy "Golden Brown" song by the Stranglers too. Took me a dozen listens to catch just what they were doing and be able to clap along with them! Good luck with the distribution deal. May you sell millions!!! Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:09 am

thanks so much for the help....There seems to be a clause in this deal relating to getting dropped, if in a certain amount of time a specified amount isn't sold....so, I'll see if I can keep myself there,,,,Raags...I'm a super fan of the odd meter....It's amazing what one can do to a tune by adding a beat to every bar ....thanks again,I love you madly....Vicky

peteproducer

Post by peteproducer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Quote:Quote:They are asking me what label I'm on, and since I'm not on one, I haven't responded yet.....what do I do?....do I create a label?tell them what?thanks,VickyJust tell them the truth, that it's a self-released CD......Reminds me of a story about a band called White Town in the UK in 1997.This was one guy and an unsigned demo. Record companies assumed he was signed and asked him which label.He told them upfront: the demo was self-released.It was a bit strange to some ears too...and it got to number one!

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:34 pm

peteproducer...thanks for the thought.....wish me luck on this one....Raags...I believe in India the 7 is ta-ka-di-mi-ta-ki-ta..or ta-ki-ta-ta-ka-di-mi... seriously don't get me started.....thanks everyone, tedsingingfox, and matto....cool.Vicky

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Quote:peteproducer...thanks for the thought.....wish me luck on this one....Raags...I believe in India the 7 is ta-ka-di-mi-ta-ki-ta..or ta-ki-ta-ta-ka-di-mi... seriously don't get me started.....thanks everyone, tedsingingfox, and matto....cool.VickyCongrats on the deal Vicky!! Just goes to show you sometimes 7's not a crowd!!Now what was that about Strangers in the Night in 5? Way to go!!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 am

Hi Vicky,There is something so cool about the odd meter too-- what is it about that? It's probably high time that I started doing some recordings in those odd meters-- love them! Oh, there are soooo many odd-meters in India-- I wish I knew them ALL! There are 7, 11, the odd and rare 11/12 (don't even think of asking me to sing that one!)... Yeah, stuff like the Rupak Tal (rhythm) or Tin-Tin-Na-Dhin-Na-Dhin-Na... and Dhin-Dha-Trik-Dhin-Dhin-Ddha-Trik ... and Toon-Toon-Na-Dhin-Na-Dhin-Na ... and Dha-Di-Na-TiTe-KaTi-GeDi-GeNa ... all those 3-2-2 counted songs really float my boat. I'm currently listening to a 7-beat song on an album by Jagjit Singh, one of my all-time favorite singers of India:http://www.musichouseltd.co.uk/shop/ima ... sh%201.wma Ah... love it love it love it!!! Yeah... don't get ME started! Seriously, Vicky, we'll have to rock out to 7-beats in the lobby at the next Rally. Will you be there? Best wishes with this national distribution of your CD!!! Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani