Re: Any advice on this type of Contract?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Quote:I hope the 15% "administration" fee is not standard. That administration is part of their job, just like paying for a studio and performers is part of the composer's job. At least that is how I see it. Are they paying for any of your expenses, because they sure want you to pay for theirs?Instead of half, you will be making slightly over a third of the revenue. I've seen the 15% admin fee quite often, it's pretty common. And don't forget they are asking for only 50% of the publisher's share whereby many ask for 100%. So, it's really a decent deal.If I read it right, let's divide up a $1000 license fee... They take $150 off the top leaving $850. You then get $425. Nothing bad there. (Assuming they apply the 15% to license fees, some don't)Now let's say $1000 in performance royalties are earned. They take their $150 leaving $850 again. But since you get 100% of the writer's share and 50% of the publisher's share, you get 75% of that amount = $637.50.OK, so on the $2000 above, you made 1062.50, or 53% percent of the revenue. More than half! Not "slightly over a third"...Please verify my figures folks, but it still looks very good to me. I see nothing here that is not fairly typical. With an offer from a solid company like this, I would take the deal with the 15% admin fee in a heartbeat. Casey

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:24 pm

I happened to notice the name of the company before it was removed and I can say I've been schmoozing them for a while and I'd sign this contract today. I'm still waiting for an e-mail or call back from them. What are you waiting for?!
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:38 am

Quote:I've seen the 15% admin fee quite often, it's pretty common. And don't forget they are asking for only 50% of the publisher's share whereby many ask for 100%. So, it's really a decent deal.It is a good deal if it you are reading it right. I hope you are. The best outcome is if I read it too hastily. That is all you need to point out, minus the arithemetic lesson.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:41 am

Quote: That is all you need to point out, minus the arithemetic lesson.And take away all my fun? Casey

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jmather » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 am

Hey Casey Thanks for the hypothetical. I checked the math - it's all right and yes it seems like a straightforward deal, and a good one at that! Well I have a have a phone call to make. I'll be sure to keep you all posted as to how it goes down.yeeeaahhh!!Justin