Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ThirdStrand
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Post by ThirdStrand » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:53 am

Lots of other stuff I could add, but let me say that I've recently been very impressed with Trillian as a bass instrument when I can't get a live player in on time...those people over at Spectrasonics really have it going on.

Matt

dynamicalan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dynamicalan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Wow Matt, I've heard Trillian is a really great bass program. I am always willing to do a bass track in a situation that needs one done quick. I can do one on my Warwick Thumb bass but I don't always have new strings. I wouldn't charge for doing that.

Best,

Alan
Dynamic Alan Publishing, BMI

gtrmann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gtrmann » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:19 pm

I am using Samplitude, a P4 2.8mhz PC, Frontier Dakota PCI 16x16 ADAT litepipe 2x midi channels ,with a couple of Behringer AD8000 8x8 litepipe to analog I/Os, and a old Soundcraft 800B-24 desk.....in my garage home studio

and Samplitude, a Toshiba L655-S5150 laptop, Tascam USB 1641, SM Pro Audio PRE8E....for remotes
Bruce Wendel
Song Wronger

Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by current

Taxi
Soundcloud
Amp Repair | Sound System
Cover band

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Mic, Interface, Controller, DAWs, Etc

Post by mojobone » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Gauge ECM 87, premium mic cable, Tascam FW-1884 MIDI/audio interface/controller w/motorized faders (by Frontier Design) into Tracktion 2 for tracking, Tracktion 3 for most mixing. I get great (and perfectly repeatable) guitar and bass amp sounds from my POD X3L floor controller. Monitors are homebrew Infinitis with Advent drivers powered by a massive, seventies-vintage Sansui Quad receiver, which handles multiple media inputs (phono, CD, cassette, Mini-Disc, 8-Track, internet audio, etc) and switches monitors. Computer is a Gateway Pentium D dual-core 2.8 Ghz, w/1M L2 cache per-core, 900Mhz front-side bus, 250G Western Digital, 350G Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives

Drums:Alesis DM5Pro Kit w/ Surge real brass cymbals driving Addictive Drums w/ Funk and Jazz Brushes kitpacks

Bass: Samick 4-string, of Korean origin, with P/J pickups, Ken Smith steel strings

Guitars: Samick Artist, Korea semihollow, transparent red burst over birdseye maple ply, set neck, dual humbuckers, similar to ES-335, w/slightly smaller body

DeArmond Starfire Special, Korea, transparent red, semi-hollow, set neck, dual DeArmond single coils and Bigsby trem

Fernandes Stratocaster copy, Japan, white/creme, Brazilian rosewood slab fretboard, early sixties style w/ stamped steel S-shaped saddles and synchronized trem, three single coils, Eric Johnson mod (tone knobs affect bass and treble pickups only)

Squier Affinity Series Telecaster, China, 50s-style butterscotch, 2 single coils w/capacitor on the neck pickup, six forged saddles, standard controls

Line6 Variax, Korea, red

Washburn D-28S with solid cedar top, Korea all guitar strings are by D'Addario

Keys: Korg X5 driving numerous soft synths and a "vintage" Kawai GMega; internal sounds are similar to an M1
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

bobmelanson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bobmelanson » Sun May 08, 2011 8:51 am

Gear talk! ... love it :)

My Setup is a little different as it's based around my day gig. I'm a film and television Dialogue Editor and have been for the past 13 years. I used to write music with Cubase and edit dialogue on a Fairlight MFX3+, but switched to Protools a few years ago. It's not that I prefer Protools over Cubase but It's what I had to use for dialogue work.

My music setup is nothing special and I mix in the box using a digi002, m-audio 2626 and Mackie HR824 monitors. I also have a set of old Tannoy PBM8 that I use and Paradigm Mini MKII in my home theatre that I listen to mixes on as well. The family van is also used a lot for mix listens.

I spent a lot of time treating my room so there are no reflections at mix position and although not flat the room sounds pretty good.

Plugins:

a bunch of UAD plugs ... I use the 1176 and LA2A a lot!
Waves Ren Comp and IR reverb
Massey CT4 Comp
Amplitube 3
Guitar Rig 4
Sampletank 2
Reason
T-racks singles

and I'm sure some I've forgotten.

Guitars are an '83 Squire strat (modded to death) a Robin custom medley, an old Seagull acoustic, a Godin telecoustic and an Ibanez ATK bass... nothing expensive as I'm too rough on them!

Amps: Mesa Boogie Studio caliber .22+ and a Melanhead that I built.

Pedals, a bunch of Diamond products and some overdrives I made.

For drums I'm a big fan of Superior Drummer.

a Korg x3 as a controller ...

Mics ... SM57, SM58, Senheisser 906 and an AT large diaphragm mic that I can never remember the name of :)
Bob ....

My Day Job
My Taxi Tunes
Download my instrumental guitar CD free

Audio Engineer/Sound Editor/Musician/Custom guitar tracks for your tunes .... oh, and Dad/Husband too!

gtrmann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gtrmann » Wed May 11, 2011 10:43 am

bobmelanson wrote:Gear talk! ... love it :)

My Setup is a little different as it's based around my day gig. I'm a film and television Dialogue Editor and have been for the past 13 years. I used to write music with Cubase and edit dialogue on a Fairlight MFX3+, but switched to Protools a few years ago. It's not that I prefer Protools over Cubase but It's what I had to use for dialogue work.

My music setup is nothing special and I mix in the box using a digi002, m-audio 2626 and Mackie HR824 monitors. I also have a set of old Tannoy PBM8 that I use and Paradigm Mini MKII in my home theatre that I listen to mixes on as well. The family van is also used a lot for mix listens.

I spent a lot of time treating my room so there are no reflections at mix position and although not flat the room sounds pretty good.

Plugins:

a bunch of UAD plugs ... I use the 1176 and LA2A a lot!
Waves Ren Comp and IR reverb
Massey CT4 Comp
Amplitube 3
Guitar Rig 4
Sampletank 2
Reason
T-racks singles

and I'm sure some I've forgotten.

Guitars are an '83 Squire strat (modded to death) a Robin custom medley, an old Seagull acoustic, a Godin telecoustic and an Ibanez ATK bass... nothing expensive as I'm too rough on them!

Amps: Mesa Boogie Studio caliber .22+ and a Melanhead that I built.

Pedals, a bunch of Diamond products and some overdrives I made.

For drums I'm a big fan of Superior Drummer.

a Korg x3 as a controller ...

Mics ... SM57, SM58, Senheisser 906 and an AT large diaphragm mic that I can never remember the name of :)
That's cool that you do Dialogue editing, if you make it out to the Road Rally I would like to hear more about that.....!!!!!
Bruce Wendel
Song Wronger

Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by current

Taxi
Soundcloud
Amp Repair | Sound System
Cover band

bobmelanson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bobmelanson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 pm

It's an interesting day gig that's for sure. It's one of those jobs that's hard to explain exactly what it is I do.

I'd love to make it out to the road rally but it's a 6hr flight from here. If i finally get a forward, and a few placements, who knows :)

PM me if you want to hear more about dialogue editing ...
Bob ....

My Day Job
My Taxi Tunes
Download my instrumental guitar CD free

Audio Engineer/Sound Editor/Musician/Custom guitar tracks for your tunes .... oh, and Dad/Husband too!

MikeShrout

Post by MikeShrout » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey... I use Pro Tools... There are other great DAWs out there, but I have been using it for so many years I would be foolish to leave... I have an 003 Factory Workstation... I run that into a GLYPH GT050Q... Then into my Mac... I like the warmth of tube mics although I do use some solid state gear as well... I use mostly Waves plugins... I am constantly adding new toys to the collection... Its my addiction... HA!!!

manninghollow
Impressive
Impressive

Post by manninghollow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 am

Hi Folks! Cubase and Logic are both great sounding softwares. Most folks I rub shoulders with in Nashville agree on this. We use Cubase. I'm stuck on RME interfaces. They all sound great. Everybody should have a MXL R40 ribbon mic.($69!!!) It is great for electric guitars and (if you work with it) mellow vocals. Joe Meek makes a nice little preamp/compressor ($299)I use that sounds pretty good. My favorite preamp is an ancient Demeter tube pre (20 yrs old!)we use for most everything. Software has become awesome in this day and age with strings, pianos, revebs, compressors etc..I use Motu Symphonic Intrument ($299) and it is very conducive to creativity with 2 great pianos. Waves has some great plug in reverbs and easy to operate processors. I like and have used JBL monitors for 30yrs. If you have a music room or space, make sure it is acoustically sound. Bad rooms have been a challenge for for me. I have found there is no subsitute for a great performance even if the sound is not great. I use good pickers and vocalists as much as I can. Hope this is a help to someone. :ugeek:

Ellwood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ellwood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 am

Cubase 5, Mackie Onyx 400F interface, Win OS,XP serv pac2, all guitars live mic'd, bass direct in, Drums EZdrummer, Blue mic's, Mackie monitors, Mackie control surface, Eventide HK8000 compressor,