Before I join should i/did you?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Before I join should i/did you?

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:17 am

Quote:If you're trying to write songs for other artists to record, like is done primarily in country these days, then a really good song recorded with just a guitar or piano and vocal (GREAT performances required) will usually suffice. I've heard Nashville producers speak at conferences and from what they've said, country is still one of the genres that will accept these kinds of demos.On the other hand, if you are trying to be a recording artist and/or get your songs played on Film/TV, then you need masters (broadcast quality recordings of your songs). As you know, this can cost a lot of money and time even if you have your own setup.One thing that has been recommended here quite often is to have your song professionally critiqued by someone like Jason Blume or John Brahaeny before you go in to the studio and sink a bunch of money on a demo/master. If you are clear on what you are going to do with the song (artist pitch, film/tv, etc.) then I would imagine the critique would be even more focussed and useful. 20 or 30 bucks on a custom critique, even the same song two or three times, could save you hours of re-work (studio time=money) on the other end of the process. Great advice, perfectly said. Questions about this come up often on these boards and this is THE answer. Casey

asiabackpacker
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by asiabackpacker » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Great advice. Thank you Mazz..

laserdog

Post by laserdog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm

As a former Taxi Member who got a contract with their help..thank you by the way.....at my time of membership i was somewhat confused on some critiques...I would submit a song for a t.v. listing and get a critique that my "song" was not chartable....I kept on writing and within a mear short time taxi forwarded a piece and have been happy with my publisher they keep sending my music out..my BMI debit card keeps growing in $$$....It's worth every penny to join Taxi for you newbies. And now, being published on Dateline/NBC & more I am considering joining Taxi again just for the film & t.v. access you have now. Maybe the Critiques might be a bit more on the proper cue now.