I need Laskow to respond to this.

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I need Laskow to respond to this.

Post by geo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:10 am

Hi if ML should stop by one of the members was nice enough to give me a little background on the company and I realised that was really all I wanted. So maybe the solution to my "not so well expressed concern" was maybe a little background could be given on the company if a member has an question, short bio/history and whether or not contact is available. Like I said previously, I have no problem with Taxi, everyone, especially Clint, has been very polite and understanding when I have contacted them, onwards and upwards... Geo

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Post by bobbydazzler » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Quote: Just an observation, posted an introduction to everyone on the peer to peer forum and a song for review but got no replies, made a comment here which everyone seems to mistake for a bitch and I got 4 responses. to be honest I would have been happier if everyone ignored this and gave me some song feedback I hear you!! I think you need either a GREAT song or a TERRIBLE song... or just need production advice....Some members get HEAPS of feedback in P2P... others like you and I... very little... except for Dogs In Cars who wrote be the most indepth feedback I have seen... very much appreciated and taken on board...I think the key is to reveiw as many as poss... get your name out there... then sit back and watch the reviews come in!Bagging Taxi will work also! maybe you should attach an MP3 to your next rant (not that I'm saying you are ranting... CheersBD

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 pm

Quote:Quote: Just an observation, posted an introduction to everyone on the peer to peer forum and a song for review but got no replies, made a comment here which everyone seems to mistake for a bitch and I got 4 responses. to be honest I would have been happier if everyone ignored this and gave me some song feedback I hear you!! I think you need either a GREAT song or a TERRIBLE song... or just need production advice....Some members get HEAPS of feedback in P2P... others like you and I... very little... except for Dogs In Cars who wrote be the most indepth feedback I have seen... very much appreciated and taken on board...I think the key is to reveiw as many as poss... get your name out there... then sit back and watch the reviews come in!Bagging Taxi will work also! maybe you should attach an MP3 to your next rant (not that I'm saying you are ranting... CheersBD I think some of us who have been on the board a while - a year for me, longer for many others - are a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts now. When I first started posting, it was easy enough to keep up with only the last 10 posts... then 50, now 100 --- and sometimes I still can't keep up. Another thing that happens is quite a few posters swing in, ask for some reviews, then for whatever reason are gone. Actually providing helpful feedback takes time, and sometimes it's a better use of time to see who's going to stick around and who's a fly by. The p2p kind of reviews work both ways. I'm usually asking for feedback more than I'm giving, but when I do give feedback, I try to do my best - but seldom chime in just to say good job.Also, it's good to ask specific questions rather than just general posts for review--- especially at first.btw-- i listen to as many things posted as possible, as I'm sure many others do as well, but only post if there seems to be something specific I could offer and if I have time to be thorough. Aub

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Quote:Quote:I hear you!! I think you need either a GREAT song or a TERRIBLE song... or just need production advice....Some members get HEAPS of feedback in P2P... others like you and I... very little... except for Dogs In Cars who wrote be the most indepth feedback I have seen... very much appreciated and taken on board...I think the key is to reveiw as many as poss... get your name out there... then sit back and watch the reviews come in!Bagging Taxi will work also! maybe you should attach an MP3 to your next rant (not that I'm saying you are ranting... CheersBD I think some of us who have been on the board a while - a year for me, longer for many others - are a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts now. When I first started posting, it was easy enough to keep up with only the last 10 posts... then 50, now 100 --- and sometimes I still can't keep up. Another thing that happens is quite a few posters swing in, ask for some reviews, then for whatever reason are gone. Actually providing helpful feedback takes time, and sometimes it's a better use of time to see who's going to stick around and who's a fly by. The p2p kind of reviews work both ways. I'm usually asking for feedback more than I'm giving, but when I do give feedback, I try to do my best - but seldom chime in just to say good job.Also, it's good to ask specific questions rather than just general posts for review--- especially at first.btw-- i listen to as many things posted as possible, as I'm sure many others do as well, but only post if there seems to be something specific I could offer and if I have time to be thorough. AubI think the Board will slow down a bit.I have noticed a few of the main characters are posting less and less for their own good reasons I'm sure.We see less of Matto,he used to bring vast amounts of knowledge and insight into the bizz,Ern used to bring lots of humour and JD, lots of sarcasm,which made a very voilatile and often contraversial mix.It all seems a bit serious now.Nothing wrong with that.Just different to how it was.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:46 pm

I'm browsing this forum almost everyday, and although I'm not a frequent poster, it's a great learning experience just to read. To me, it's a great knowledge base. The peer2peer is a tricky one.I think that there are very few people having an "all-round" talent, that enables them to review thoroughly and wisely, every aspect and every genre there is.And even if I'd know for example how a professionally crafted, recorded, and arranged country song sounds like, I know nada about how to get it there. As such, my feedback would have no added value.Just like Aub, I'll give feedback whenever I think I have something that could make a difference, and have the time to be thorough.Generally speaking, I see posts from time to time just asking for any comment. No background, no information on why they posted the song for feedback, and what they think they need help with. These are very hard to give any constructive feedback on, because you just can't cover all areas. In addition you don't know if its improvement suggestions they really want...To your original concern, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the rewrites to the listing party. I believe that every song has a kind of a "soul", and that soul is inherent in the song regardless of any rewrite. I think the listing party makes their decisions whether or not they like the "soul" of the song in 15-20sec's. If they don't like it by then, they won't like it regardless of the number of rewrites. This does not make it a bad song, it just needs to hit the right vein. "You can't please them all". If they do like it, and they make the same conclusion as the screener, they will contact you asking you to make those improvements to enhance the songs potential, if required. You could even capitalize on the fact that you already have a rewrite made, showing a swift turn around, which will both please and impress them.The screeners don't have to judge the songs by its soul, as they are not the one's investing in them. Their judgment is only based upon whether or not the song matches the criteria, have the potential, and if the quality is considered good enough for the listing party. The listing party needs to really, really like all aspects of it, as they are the ones spending cash and their reputation on it.While I understand that all this may sound like mumbojumbo, I believe that quality and soul are two different things, - A song can have poor quality but a great soul, and vice versa, and it can have both. Quality speaks more or less to everybody, - the soul is something you have to feel, and the perception varies from person to person. It gets even worse when there's a whole board of rep's that need to tune in on the same feeling.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:49 am

Quote:If they do like it, and they make the same conclusion as the screener, they will contact you asking you to make those improvements to enhance the songs potential, if required. My experience has been that this might happen on a SONG PITCH if (big IF) the song gets heard by either the artist, his/her manager, or his/her producer. If they fall in love with everything except a few lyric lines, for example, they may ask for co-write and make changes. For film/TV, it won't happen!! And that big IF is big because the song has to get heard (gatekeepers such as a good publisher might not forward it) and, on first listen, it has to blow the doors off the listener. A killer chorus within 45-50 seconds is a big plus there.But bottom line is, don't bank TOO much on the "they'll change it if they like it" scenario because it's so competitive out there. Casey

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:01 am

Okay, "they will.." was probably the wrong use of words.The point I was trying to make was based on the fact that the song was forwarded. If the screener thought that the rewrite was essential in order to get the song signed, he/she wouldn't have forwarded it in the first place. At least I like to think so

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 am

Quote:The point I was trying to make was based on the fact that the song was forwarded. If the screener thought that the rewrite was essential in order to get the song signed, he/she wouldn't have forwarded it in the first place. At least I like to think so Absolutely true Casey

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:18 pm

OK, I came back again, thanks for being cool with a newbie (and the feedback in peer to peer). As far as peer to peer, I listen to a bunch of stuff but only give feedback in areas/genres I feel comfortable (writing/arrangement), and anything that "sticks out". Stuff I don't normally listen to, like Country, I leave alone because my opinion would be groundless. But the best thing is to do a couple whenever you are on and I think people have no problem returning the favor...GeoNice to see I at least sparked some good debate

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:43 am

Casey,You mentioned in your post above that "gatekeepers such as a good music publisher might not forward it (the song)".So if the song is forwarded through Taxi to a library, they might leave it out of their CDs and it ends up in the circular file? They won't maybe list it in their catalog and wait for an opportune moment to use it?