AKG 414: There's a reason cheap condenser mics are cheap!

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: AKG 414: There's a reason cheap condenser mics are cheap!

Post by cameron » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:16 pm

+1 on the AT-2020. I have never compared it side-by-side with something like a U87, but I record my work tapes on the AT-2020 and have recorded with top dollar mics the few times I've recorded my own vox in a pro-studio. That probably saved me a lot of money because I could hear very little difference. (My voice sucked either way, haha!) Seriously though, I've also tried a couple of other cheap mics and none were even close to the AT-2020.

Cam

Nivek
Active
Active

Post by Nivek » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 am

Coming back to the 414. Is it necessary to use a mic preamp with this microphone. I'm selling loads of kit and instruments to fund a serious upgrade. I'm going for the 414 but which preamp. Can anyone give me advice.
Kev

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 pm

How much are you comfortable in spending? I think that for a mic with a reputation for having a crispy (yet controllable) top end, as do most AKGs, you might want to have the capacity to soften it with some well-controlled distortion. (not that ripping guitar sort, just a nice 'halo' around the note) My bet would be something from Universal Audio or Tube-Tech, though a Manley product might do even better, if you're flush.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

gtrmann
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gtrmann » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

Nivek wrote:Coming back to the 414. Is it necessary to use a mic preamp with this microphone. I'm selling loads of kit and instruments to fund a serious upgrade. I'm going for the 414 but which preamp. Can anyone give me advice.
Kev
I can't offer any advise here, but would be curious as to what you eventually went with for preamps, I usually use my 414's through my old Soundcraft 800B pres.

I am currently working on building some mic preamps. One I recently built is based on the Neve 1073, I am also working on a standard mixer style pre but with a discrete op amp based on the Electrodyne AM4. And of course a tube is in my long range plans.... The idea behind all of these is to use as few capacitors as possible and still keep the pre flat to as close 100K as I can get...
Bruce Wendel
Song Wronger

Resistance isn't futile, it's voltage divided by current

Taxi
Soundcloud
Amp Repair | Sound System
Cover band