I need Laskow to respond to this.

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: I need Laskow to respond to this.

Post by hummingbird » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:00 am

Quote:Casey,You mentioned in your post above that "gatekeepers such as a good music publisher might not forward it (the song)".So if the song is forwarded through Taxi to a library, they might leave it out of their CDs and it ends up in the circular file? They won't maybe list it in their catalog and wait for an opportune moment to use it?I could be wrong - but it wouldn't be wise of them to included a forwarded song on their CDs without making a deal with the writer. Because the writer, after the submission and after the forward, will keep pitching the song to other opps - and may sign other deals with other people. Meantime the library would be pitching an unsigned song with no ability to make a placement. They really have to sign the deal and be legally able to administrate the copyright before pitching anything.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:35 am

Quote:Casey,You mentioned in your post above that "gatekeepers such as a good music publisher might not forward it (the song)".So if the song is forwarded through Taxi to a library, they might leave it out of their CDs and it ends up in the circular file? They won't maybe list it in their catalog and wait for an opportune moment to use it?Not what I meant at all...If TAXI forwards something, it is past the first round of Gatekeeper and it's a good assumption that it meets the minimum standards for what the party is looking for. I was referring more to the general notion, outside of TAXI, that you can pitch something and "if they like most of it they can change it". In very competitive pitches such as if you send a song to a good Nashville publisher or even an artist's manager, it probably won't fly that way. There are too many other songs for them to consider. Casey

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:54 am

Hummin'bird:Thanks for the helpful info. I understand much better now and you're quite right, far too risky for them to do it that way and if there's one thing they know, it's risk avoidance. That's just good business.Casey, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Good info. My assumption when I started with Taxi a year ago was that if there were going to be rewrites (and when aren't there?) it would be done on our side, not on theirs. I just figured they wouldn't have the time or want to spend the $$.

westborn

Post by westborn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 am

Respond to this:First things first: Taxi should post bios for all their screeners. A number for a screener is nice, but knowing a screener has a brain and two ears, is more improtant than anything. They can assign numbers, but how about giving a list of who may be listening? If a screener suggests changing a verse, he should have some credibility, as far as music goes. Just because they are in a chair under the video cam means nothing. If they say they forwarded it, that's is pretty much what you are paying for. They never said they were going to give out addresses or phone numbers. In fact, they pretty much say just the opposite. So you're outta luck.Call this number 1 (800) 4LaskowThat's funny!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 am

Quote:Respond to this:First things first: Taxi should post bios for all their screeners. A number for a screener is nice, but knowing a screener has a brain and two ears, is more improtant than anything. They can assign numbers, but how about giving a list of who may be listening? If a screener suggests changing a verse, he should have some credibility, as far as music goes. Just because they are in a chair under the video cam means nothing. If they say they forwarded it, that's is pretty much what you are paying for. They never said they were going to give out addresses or phone numbers. In fact, they pretty much say just the opposite. So you're outta luck.Call this number 1 (800) 4LaskowThat's funny!Here are bios for many of the screeners. They can't tie the screener numbers to the specific bios since that could identify these folks... Nasty phone calls, e-mails, and even death threats have happened in the past. None of these folks would do this work if their names were exposed with reviews.http://www.taxi.com/aandr.html

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Quote:Respond to this:First things first: Taxi should post bios for all their screeners. A number for a screener is nice, but knowing a screener has a brain and two ears, is more improtant than anything. They can assign numbers, but how about giving a list of who may be listening? If a screener suggests changing a verse, he should have some credibility, as far as music goes. Just because they are in a chair under the video cam means nothing. If they say they forwarded it, that's is pretty much what you are paying for. They never said they were going to give out addresses or phone numbers. In fact, they pretty much say just the opposite. So you're outta luck.Call this number 1 (800) 4LaskowThat's funny!In addition, look at the list of mentors for the Rally... many of these folks also screen for Taxi. http://www.taxi.com/rally/infopage.html#mentors
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:17 pm

I don't want a face/name attached to the screener numbers, that way if I ever do meet them I won't be embarassed that they are aware of my increasing number of returns!!!!! Geo, LOL