Oops I did it again ;-)

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Oops I did it again ;-)

Post by gitarrero » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:04 pm

hey matt,that's.... GREAT!! - major congrats!!
production, composition & stringed instruments

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:10 am

MattExcellent. Really well done. Ditto to Casey: inspiring

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 am

Good work Matt,bc

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:28 am

Woo Hoo!!! Fantastic Matt! Guess you're buying the drinks at the Rally this year? ;-)Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Awesome! Congratulations! Make that double ditto to Casey's inspiring.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Thanks everybody, you're too kind. It does feel great to hear your song in the theater. When we had the one in Mr and Mrs Smith I dared my co-writer to get up when it came on and shout "That's my song"... ...he didn't do it though .Quote:Question about your terminology: You say your cut was custom, but also that it was part of a library...can it be both?Yeah I guess it's not "library music" technically speaking, although it serves the exact same purpose (source music). Many well-connected libraries get requests for custom tracks from time to time, usually when a supervisor can't find what (s)he is looking for in existing catalog. The library then turns to their "go-to" writers, people they've worked with for a while and that they know are capable of pulling the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. Turn around on these cues is usually quite fast (under 24 hrs is not uncommon) and of course there's no guarantee that the song will be used, it's all done on spec.The upside is that when your cue does make it in the movie, it's 1- a nice placement with some good earning potential, 2- you just helped out a supervisor in a pinch and (s)he will keep you in mind for similar situations in the future, and 3- the library will be very happy since you came thru on their behalf, which usually means they'll throw more (custom or regular) work your way.Quote:Just when I was feeling good because I had two commercials played back to back on morning show on local TV today that I did music forA few short years ago I would've killed for something like that. And these days I would still be very proud of it, as you rightfully are. Anytime anybody is willing to pay you to use your music, that's a very considerable achievement. matto

dayson1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dayson1 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:47 pm

This is very inspiring! Thanks for shinning your light on all of us hopefuls out here -Dana
Dana

bluezcruizer

Post by bluezcruizer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:56 am

matto,you're truly gifted. And I was feeling high because I got my first forward. seriously, that's just awesome! I hope you get more like it! bluezcruizer

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Right on, Matt! Congrats!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:55 am

Quote:Hey gang,This past weekend marked the second time I had a piece of music in a movie that opened at number one at the box office (the previous one was Mr and Mrs Smith).I had a little custom background cue in Rush Hour 3, in a gambling scene at a club in Paris. I didn't get screen credit this time, but I'm still very excited because the music was actually fairly audible, which isn't always the case for library music uses in major Hollywood pictures.What's even cooler, in the beginning they showed a preview for yet another movie I have song in .Keep on writing everybody! mattoAck!! I was away when you posted this so I am very tardy in my congratulations. Congratulations!!!!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website