Re: Intermusic Library

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music Library

Post by crs7string » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:33 pm

I've always felt that 50% of something is far better than 100% of nothing.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:48 pm

As I recall, the lawyer I used requested a "sunset revision" or "reversion" but that request wasn't granted...It's a scary thing to sign over 100% of anything for me...I'm glad to hear that contract isn't so bad, especially by Matto's standard as I know he's the man 'round these parts and for good reason!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:16 pm

So, you are sure there is no reversion clause at all? I just wanted to make sure I understand... I'm surprised a good music attorney would let you sign a contract without one.Question: What was the reason you tried to contact them? Was it to ask how things were going with respect to pitching your tracks? Those are the types of emails these types of guys often don't answer (it's still a bit rude unless they get such a large volume of them, they decided not to answer any).Regards, Casey

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi again Casey! Yep, no reversion but that was pointed out to me and my choice to sign was against the lawyer's recommendation...I signed at a time that not much else was going on in that arena for me and went with the idea that it's better than nothing...Now, I guess I still hope it is...I actually have been trying to contact them regarding the contract to see if there would be any chance of modifying things to add a reversion...I know, why would they do that if they already have the rights? I was hoping to offer them a more favorable monetary split in exchange for the reversion .... I love those songs and they are special to me... Are they my best? I don't think so and I'm realizing that I just need to let this be and move on...Oh yeah, and LEARN from my mistakes...So basically, my emails have been short and to the point...I'd feel better about things if I would have received a simple reply with a no or yes...I'm not pestering them with constant emails...Quite the contrary as I know they're busy and I want them to be busy! Just an acknowledgment that they know I asked....They were so good at the beginning with communication so I know they can do it...I just assumed no return contact meant that they wanted to simply obtain my songs just in case someone else came knocking....The whole hand in the wallet thingy....That's how I came to writing this thread...Although, thanks to you guys, I understand how this works a little better...Plus, I've since signed with other publishers for other songs WITH reversion clauses...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Quote:(...quote deleted...the following may not make perfect sense anymore )The deal is what it is, it's not in any way a "rip-off", and you signed without being coerced, knowing full well there was no reversion. If the songs were too special to sign to an exclusive deal without a reversion clause, you shouldn't have signed the deal. But of course there's a danger in that too...sometimes we get so attached to (some of) our songs that no deal is good enough...we wanna keep it for our own artist project or too pitch to some big giant superstar artist.In my experience those "precious" songs will still be sitting on the shelf 10 years later without ever having made a penny...at least that happens a LOT.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:23 am

Quote:But of course there's a danger in that too...sometimes we get so attached to (some of) our songs that no deal is good enough...we wanna keep it for our own artist project or too pitch to some big giant superstar artist.In my experience those "precious" songs will still be sitting on the shelf 10 years later without ever having made a penny...at least that happens a LOT.that's true, that can be a danger. I think with some songs it's a "small line" - deciding between the value of the song and the offered deal.I just don't recommend to sign a song with a good potential to an exclussiv deal where the songwriter gives of the ownership in perpetuity (that means "forever" - until 70 yrs after the death of the composer) to a company that hasn't any references yet.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 am

Hello againWell, it looks like it is what it is and you have to move on.The company appears to have little or no track record yet. An Internet searched turn up very little. That is not necessarily a terrible thing- sometimes working with a startup can be OK. It does however guide you as to the type of agreement you might enter with them. As we all discussed, you signed a contract with no reversion clause even after your attorney advised you not to. The other piece of information- why you were emailing them at all is important!! Even though you were polite, they might have seen your email about changing the terms of the contract and decided to ignore you. Once they saw that, they may have written you off a bit- too much hassle. (Yes, they could have nicely answered with "no"... rude, but industry typical).So, unless they went out of business, they have the publishing to your songs. The good news is... Who knows? Maybe they will place one of them. Earlier I said maybe you should contact TAXI for assistance. I take that back now that all the facts are in. The only thing TAXI might be able to find out for you is whether or not they are still in business. Other than that, you are putting them in a bad position. They did their job and you even had legal advice.Not beating on you at all. We all make mistakes. The only real sin is not learning from our mistakes. Wish you the best and hope we hear one of these songs on TV or radio one day! Casey

mattfig

Post by mattfig » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:15 am

Quote:I would strongly advise against this. The deal is what it is, it's not in any way a "rip-off", and you signed without being coerced, knowing full well there was no reversion. It really doesn't matter how "special" the songs are. If they were too special to sign to an exclusive deal without a reversion clause, you shouldn't have signed the deal. But of course there's a danger in that too...sometimes we get so attached to (some of) our songs that no deal is good enough...we wanna keep it for our own artist project or too pitch to some big giant superstar artist.In my experience those "precious" songs will still be sitting on the shelf 10 years later without ever having made a penny...at least that happens a LOT.Just for the record, I have no intention of trying to nullify the contract. I knew when I signed that it was a gamble. My concerns are merely communication based and were amplified by the fact that I don't get as many forwards as some posters (but I'm working on it) so my eggs are in fewer baskets. What I need to do is spend more time scrutinizing the eggs rather than the baskets. I know the point is to keep writing good songs, pitching them, and signing only deals I'm comfortable with. That's the plan from here. I'm sleeping in the bed I made and have learned a valuable lesson. If anything, I'm more hopeful after this thread. Thanks to everyone for the help. I don't know why I never came to these boards before but I have found a wealth of information and nice people. It's almost like a support group! Hi, my name is Matt and I am a songwriter.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:21 am

Matt and MattoIt was wrong for me to even suggest anything related to nullifying the contract... I removed that portion of my post and hope you will both remove the quotes with that text. It was irresponsible of me to post that & very dangerous because you don't know who would read that and take it as advice. Casey

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:04 am

Quote:There's nothing really "spooky" about this contract, it's pretty much a standard 50/50 split exclusive deal with the exception of international track fees. To Aub, yeah transferring the ownership of the composition and master is standard in most exclusive library deals.Matt,It's so great to have you around here. I didn't know that. After chewing on it a while, I can understand why an exclusive deal would require that. The "library" route is not top of my list right now for several reasons, but that is really good to know. At some point I'm going to focus on getting instrumentals placed, and it's helpful to know what to expect.Aob