Signed Deals for Two Songs

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Signed Deals for Two Songs

Post by kevinmathie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:46 am

Nice! Congrats, Frank!

brianstripling

Post by brianstripling » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Now that you got the deal, do you need an atorney? How do you negotiate a good deal?

frankmv
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by frankmv » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:21 pm

All, Thanks all for the kind words and contratulatory messages. As far as an attorney...hmmm. I'll have to think that one over...The music library contracts are pretty standard boilerplate.Frank V.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Quote:All, Thanks all for the kind words and contratulatory messages. As far as an attorney...hmmm. I'll have to think that one over...The music library contracts are pretty standard boilerplate.Frank V. FrankThat's a good point you've raised. Are the legal fees worth the placement? The contracts are standard-ish, the legal fees are 150 - 200 per hour, the revenue per average library song may not be too much, you don't want to get ripped off either.Dilemma.Liam

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:56 am

An attorney is always worth it in the beginning. Here are a few tips:1 - An entertainment attorney may be willing to charge you for less than an hour to check out a boilerplate one page contract. Just make sure to mention that you will use him from time to time as the need arises.2 - After a while, you get pretty good at reading contracts and will not need to use an attorney each time.3 - If they use a boilerplate contract it is unlikely that they are willing to incur additional legal fees to change it to address all your fears. So if the contract sucks, it's a deal breaker Vermeer

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:18 am

Quote:All, Thanks all for the kind words and contratulatory messages. As far as an attorney...hmmm. I'll have to think that one over...The music library contracts are pretty standard boilerplate.Frank V. while it's true that lots of music library contracts are pretty much "standard", there are a few things to watch out, e.g. if there is a % cut, the question is a % FROM WHAT. I've seen contracts where the basis was "the net" and allowed deductions where defined only very vaguely. therefore, you don't know what deductions the other party might come up with (grapic designer, secretary, ...`? there are lots of things that can be connected with the work of "pitching songs").other basic things to watch out are: term, exclusivety, what happens in case of a breach, rights granted, etc.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

frankmv
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by frankmv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:01 am

while it's true that lots of music library contracts are pretty much "standard", there are a few things to watch out, e.g. if there is a % cut, the question is a % FROM WHAT. I've seen contracts where the basis was "the net" and allowed deductions where defined only very vaguely. therefore, you don't know what deductions the other party might come up with (grapic designer, secretary, ...`? there are lots of things that can be connected with the work of "pitching songs").other basic things to watch out are: term, exclusivety, what happens in case of a breach, rights granted, etc.Yo, Mar-daaaayyyy!Thanks for the info...I'll definitely keep one eye open while reading thru the "finer points" of the contracts I receive. Forewarned is forearmed...Frank V.