On the radio again...

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

oneeyewillie
Impressive
Impressive

On the radio again...

Post by oneeyewillie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:41 pm

oneeyewillie
Impressive
Impressive

Re: On the radio again...

Post by oneeyewillie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:19 am

I have a stupid question...If Celtic Connections plays on 99 stations in 21 states and some stations play it several times during the week...do I get radio play for every time my song plays...? Thankye in advance fer any assistance....

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:19 am

Are you asking about getting paid royalties?If you are i believe the answer is yes and no.Yes you are entitled to be paid every time the song is played, but there is a good chance that your PRO will not pick it up. (I am impressed with your amount of radio play, but BMI/ASCAP will not be impressed)The only way to get your money is to track down the playlists yourself and send it to your PRO, then they may pay you for those.There are others here with more experience in this situation. Most of our radio plays come from a single station but i have never bothered to try and get BMI to do anything about it yet.Rob

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:56 am

@willy: as far as I know the PROs in the u.s. screen the playlist's only a couple time per year and extrapolate that.I know from performers from europe who have lots of airplay in the u.s. but ascap/bmi/sesac doesn't pay them if they're not showing up in the playlist on their screening-day.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:26 am

Quote:Celtic Connections...http://www.celticconnectionsradio.org/week07/28.shtml SIU Carbondale, where the program originates from, is about a 45 minute drive from where I live. "College radio" is a little different than regular radio. The only reason I say that is that BMI mentions specifically about paying for "college radio" performances. The inference is that some PRO's don't. I don't know if that's true but if it wasn't different somehow than regular radio, I wouldn't think they would take space and time to mention it specifically. Check with your PRO to see what the scoop is.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:46 am

Quote:Quote:Celtic Connections...http://www.celticconnectionsradio.org/week07/28.shtml SIU Carbondale, where the program originates from, is about a 45 minute drive from where I live. "College radio" is a little different than regular radio. The only reason I say that is that BMI mentions specifically about paying for "college radio" performances. The inference is that some PRO's don't. I don't know if that's true but if it wasn't different somehow than regular radio, I wouldn't think they would take space and time to mention it specifically. Check with your PRO to see what the scoop is.Is that Carbondale, IL? I spent a week there one night.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 am

Quote:Quote:SIU Carbondale, where the program originates from, is about a 45 minute drive from where I live. "College radio" is a little different than regular radio. The only reason I say that is that BMI mentions specifically about paying for "college radio" performances. The inference is that some PRO's don't. I don't know if that's true but if it wasn't different somehow than regular radio, I wouldn't think they would take space and time to mention it specifically. Check with your PRO to see what the scoop is.Is that Carbondale, IL? I spent a week there one night. Yup... it's a party college especially around Halloween.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am

Hey Willie, you should get the playlist and list of stations carrying the broadcast, along with all other particulars you can get your hands on, and submit those to your rep at your PRO.This may help get you paid when otherwise you wouldn't.

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:44 am

Quote:Hey Willie, you should get the playlist and list of stations carrying the broadcast, along with all other particulars you can get your hands on, and submit those to your rep at your PRO.This may help get you paid when otherwise you wouldn't.I was going to mention this, too. It's my understanding that if you can document the radio play, that ASCAP or BMI will likely adjust your royalty figures and pay you for your documented performances.But, what do I know? My ASCAP statement is always $0.00, even though I've had one song played a few times on a fairly large local station.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:51 pm

Quote:Quote:Hey Willie, you should get the playlist and list of stations carrying the broadcast, along with all other particulars you can get your hands on, and submit those to your rep at your PRO.This may help get you paid when otherwise you wouldn't.I was going to mention this, too. It's my understanding that if you can document the radio play, that ASCAP or BMI will likely adjust your royalty figures and pay you for your documented performances.But, what do I know? My ASCAP statement is always $0.00, even though I've had one song played a few times on a fairly large local station. It didn't work for me. I called ASCAP about 3 radio stations playing songs of mine. I had the dates and times of some of the performances. The ASCAP rep said they can't use that information because it is the responsibility of the radio station to report.All I can do as a songwriter is register my songs with ASCAP. If I had any clout at the radio stations I could lean on the station manager to make sure my song gets on the playlist. This opportunity never presented itself.