Michael, can I use a clip of what you said on Taxi TV?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Michael, can I use a clip of what you said on Taxi TV?

Post by sedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:52 am

Hi Michael, do you mind if I use a clip of something you said on Taxi TV last night for the CD I am Making?
Don't want to bother you with a direct mail of course, this is just fun, the off chance your browsing the boards

I am the guy from UK that did the 70s, acousticy, hard to classify, anoyingly dated , a dirty hippy Gerry Rafferty kind of vibe!
(Heading Home on http://www.taxi.com/wackykites)

You said something like, "If the scene required a song playing out the radio with 2 stoners in a van, it might work" . It was proper funny and cooooool, would be a great little sound bite between songs for my project!

Also love to say a huge thanks for your advice and thanks to Craig too for putting this at your Desk!
Not everyday I get a song heard and commented on by a top class pro who Neil Young asked to record some tunes with!!! Very cool!

Lots of Love, thanks for Taxi,
Rob

PS : Man those Live viewer comments are tough!! I've had to have a serious word with myself this morning to see the gold and wake it up!

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Michael, can I use a clip of what you said on Taxi TV?

Post by feaker66 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 am

Sedge

I thought that those comments were awful.

Your song was the ONLY ONE they made fun of and some were very bad.

Sounded like a bunch of seventh graders. Made my stomach sour.

ML is old school. He could have read the comments and remained neutral. I come to expect that from some of the younger ones. I was dissapointed.

"Do unto others"

From an old hippie who likes your stuff.

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Mark Crozer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 am

Hey Sedge, I'm watching yesterday's Taxi TV right now. As soon as your tune came on I knew it was you. You have an instantly recognizable voice and style. That's a good thing!

I feel Michael was a little harsh saying that your tune had no contemporary value. There are a ton of bands and artists who are carving out successful careers making music that is obviously retro, 60s, 70s influenced. I don't think your tune sounds dated. Really, I don't. What do I know? Nothing necessarily but I do listen to a ton of contemporary music that falls into this genre. Maybe more in the UK than the US... I don't know. I mean, think of Noah and The Whale for example or Mumford and Sons. Both big successful UK chart acts who I would describe as not far at all from your sound. Look up Mumford and Sons 'Little Lion Man' on Youtube - 26 MILLION views!

Anyway... just my opinion.

Mark

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Mark Crozer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:22 am

feaker66 wrote:Sedge

I thought that those comments were awful.

Your song was the ONLY ONE they made fun of and some were very bad.

Sounded like a bunch of seventh graders. Made my stomach sour.

ML is old school. He could have read the comments and remained neutral. I come to expect that from some of the younger ones. I was dissapointed.

"Do unto others"

From an old hippie who likes your stuff.

Paul
Couldn't agree more Paul. I was also disappointed by what seemed to me like some pretty off-hand comments. I think it is perfectly reasonable to critique songs - that's what we watch the show for - but when it strays into mockery (and I'm sure that was not Michael's intention but it did come across that way) then I think it's going too far.

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:27 am

Hey Thanks guys! Yeah Agree that some of the viewer comments were a big ouch, but really valuable to get an idea of how the song is received from a fly on the wall view hey! Can't get that anywhere, valuable stuff I think (now that its the next day)

I didn't think Michael was off, but thanks for the back up! he did get along side some of the viewer comments, but I felt that was in the fun spirit of the show , he then went on to give me some personal tips and showed some love for what I am trying to do.

For me, to be thought of as workable to two stoners in an old VW van is a massive complement for me haha!!
Is why I would love to use the clip, fits perfectly, (not that I am a stoner)
Last edited by sedge on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am

Mark Crozer wrote:a little harsh saying that your tune had no contemporary value
I did have to scratch my head a bit with this one as perhaps not relevant, say like it was written for a listing asking for 70s hippy etc

The request for the show was "Is your song Broadcast Quality" so I sent this wip in that was up in Peer2Peer for the chance to see if it was before I finish it so was expecting some stuff in the negative.

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Mark Crozer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:42 am

I think there needs to be a little bit more care taken when reading out viewer comments. I switch off the live comment feed when I watch because it irritates the hell out of me. I don't think it's fair for anyone to be making jokes about anyone's tunes. As I said, it's perfectly fine to give a harsh critique if it's honest and fair. It just really riled me up that some of the viewer comments were read out when they were downright rude. Not nice. Glad that you don't seem fazed by it. Maybe I'm being too sensitive.

I would be quite interested in a Taxi TV special on 'What Is Contemporary?' because, really, in the 21st century after 6 decades of pop music there is just so much more music out there and people make successful music in EVERY genre conceivable now and a lot of it is recycling from every decade that's been before. There are mainstream acts who make music heavily influenced by music from every era. There are so many bands on the radio in the UK that sound like The Human League or The Cure or any number of bands from the 80s and I'm often shocked at how much they sound like the music I grew up with. Yes they are contemporary and big chart acts...

Anyway... just musing now. Contemporary to me means almost nothing. There's a market out there for any music that is well-crafted and sincere.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Mark

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Mark Crozer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 am

sedge wrote:
Mark Crozer wrote:a little harsh saying that your tune had no contemporary value
I did have to scratch my head a bit with this one as perhaps not relevant, say like it was written for a listing asking for 70s hippy etc

The request for the show was "Is your song Broadcast Quality" so I sent this wip in that was up in Peer2Peer for the chance to see if it was before I finish it so was expecting some stuff in the negative.
There have been a number of listings lately asking specifically for music from different eras. 60s-90s. So... yeah... er... not sure how the tune sounding 70s-ish would make it 'not broadcast quality' unless you were submitting it something that was asking for 'ultra-modern sounding, contemporary pop' or something.

Got a bit of bee in my bonnet over this it would seem! :D

Mark

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 am

Yeah , straying from a professional critique into fun could be a put off for some folks joining Taxi, I like Michaels vibe though, and often some Gems of truth in a fun poke!

All in all I just think the tune didn't float his or some viewers boat

Yeah agree, defining contemporary is wide open, perhaps there are some things I can look at work on without going all ukulele on it.
Mumfords are like dated inspired but there is something fresh (contemporary?) mix/arrangement ?.. can't be the instruments used. Ahh love it , good learning journeys

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 am

Mark Crozer wrote:Got a bit of bee in my bonnet over this it would seem!
ha yes! Sparked a few things here too. Your right, thanks, just keep on, it has worked with you I see too, you come from have played in a era of great tunes, it comes around again.

A good shake up was due on my end, gotta keep it on the ground here!