Seven Songs

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Seven Songs

Post by grandmatarkin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi folksI had two songs forwarded to this listing...HOT A/C-POP SONGS in the general range of Rob Thomas, Norah Jones, Five For Fighting, Natasha Bedingfield, James Blunt, Katie Melua, Goo Goo Dolls, Daniel Powter, etc. are sought by a West Coast-based Management Co. (they rep. a current platinum-selling Rock group) that is starting a new Publishing division. They plan to pitch songs to signed artists as well as to film & TV projects. They will offer both exclusive and non-exclusive deals. Broadcast quality preferred, but demo quality is fine if your recordings/performances are well done. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD/cassette, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than March 26, 2007. TAXI # S070326ACSo, the publisher gets back to me asking for a "full-length cd" of tunes that I have written/co-written. So I send the cd to him, and he wants to represent seven of them ! I'm even more happy about this because a couple of the songs he has interest in were getting nowhere in the Taxi submission process for whatever reason. I had kind of "given up hope" on them, so now it's nice to see that they may have a use after all. So that's the good part... that bad thing is now I actually start writing new songs That's ok though, I've needed a kick in the pants for a while now Dave

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Seven Songs

Post by sgs4u » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Quote:the bad thing is now I actually start writing new songs Daveand this is a bad thing?it's time for a much happier-looking avatar, Mr Glumthis cod's on me

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:05 am

That's fantastic news. Congratulations. Sorry you have to write more songs Keep up the good work!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:45 am

Ahah... thanks guys. Mr Glum appreciates it. I know that avatar was sad, but it was so drop-dead sexah! Actually, writing the songs is not the hard part. It's the recording of them! I need some efficiency lessons from you guys I think. I already have like 5 tunes that are ready to go. I know Aub claims to be Mr. ADD, but must be a close second Thanks for the cod, Steve! I'll finally have an excuse for the smell emanating from my clothing Dave

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 am

Re-reading the listing makes me think that they want good sounding demos but not necessarily full productions. Now that your foot's in the door, maybe you can ask them what they are realistically looking for. If they are producing artists or hiring producers for artists, then it's pretty likely they will do their own arrangement anyway and might just want to hear the song in a fairly raw form.Maybe they'll pay a little bit for you to go to a studio to record the demos. Some publishers do this although it may be too soon in the relationship to ask for that.I'd ask them what they want in terms of production values before you start recording.Congrats again and good luck with this!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 am

Quote:Ahah... thanks guys. Mr Glum appreciates it. I know that avatar was sad, but it was so drop-dead sexah! Actually, writing the songs is not the hard part. It's the recording of them! I need some efficiency lessons from you guys I think. I already have like 5 tunes that are ready to go. I know Aub claims to be Mr. ADD, but must be a close second Thanks for the cod, Steve! I'll finally have an excuse for the smell emanating from my clothing DaveHey now. I was ADD before ADD was cool!Seriously, though I joke about it, it was many years before I actually realized what was going on. I thought all of the symptoms were just lack of discipline and character flaws. (I've been known to get lost coming home from work ) I've learned to use it as a strength rather than a weakness though. There aren't that many people who can actually be thinking ten things at once while doing something else. For a long time I tried to teach myself to focus, but to no avail. The key is to understand that the inability to focus on one task is actually "hard-wired" in some-- but so is the ability to hyper focus. Creating deadlines, purposefully multitasking, and strategically engaging multiple senses can turn a deficit into a major advantage...... Now what was I doing and how did I get here Oh yeah-- Congrats on the success! Well deserved!Aub

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks Aub! I feel what you're saying. Procrastination is a way of life for me, so much so that I probably won't die until I'm about 240 Personally, when I can control my various "traits", it's a major advantage (I think). Part of what makes us creative, I suppose...Dave

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:33 am

I'm curious about the company that's going to rep your songs... did they offer an advance? Is it exclusive on your cuts? What do they get when they place a song for you?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm losing track of the Taxi deals on the forum here. Congrats on that whole thing!! Dave