Hip-hop anyone?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Hip-hop anyone?

Post by prafitjosiah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:28 pm

Anybody had success in Hip-hop? Production wise... Do companies normally require all the sounds sent to them on different tracks? Or do they just accept your 2-track master?I'm new so please be patient with me as I may ask many questions. I really want to be successful in my ventures and not waste time or money if I don't have to.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hip-hop anyone?

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:39 pm

Quote:Anybody had success in Hip-hop? Production wise... Do companies normally require all the sounds sent to them on different tracks? Or do they just accept your 2-track master?I'm new so please be patient with me as I may ask many questions. I really want to be successful in my ventures and not waste time or money if I don't have to.You should send in the 2-track master with ALL SAMPLES CLEARED. No company (except maybe some big record labels dealing with a known act) wants to deal with sample clearance issues, and if there's any question they'll just pass on your tracks.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Post by prafitjosiah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:25 pm

I don't use samples... Sorry for the confusion, I was speaking of when you actually get a deal with a company.When dealing with Hip-hop production do they normally accept the 2-track master or require multiple tracks so that they mix themselves?

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Quote:You should send in the 2-track master with ALL SAMPLES CLEARED. No company (except maybe some big record labels dealing with a known act) wants to deal with sample clearance issues, and if there's any question they'll just pass on your tracks.I think we're stereotyping here without know what the music is truly about. You need to listen to current commercial hip hop. Most of it doesn't use samples. Underground hip hop does. Assumptions don't help much. Send in the two track. But them vocals have to be tight so invest in a decent condensor mic and compressor. I suggest looking at PSP's Vintage Warmer. It's a software multi-band compressor and does a fantastic job.God bless.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi Prez-No assumptions here; my comments are in response to Praf's specific questions about his own music. Especially since his tracks sound like he sings over others' beats (which may not true), I think sample clearance is an important subject to cover.Besides, from what I can hear commercial hiphop still has plenty of samples in it...and Taxi listing parties are obviously concerned about this since rap/hiphop listings often specify that no uncleared samples will be accepted.Just do a search for "uncleared" or "samples" in the Taxi listings and you'll see what I mean. Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Quote:Hi Prez-Especially since his tracks sound like he sings over others' beats (which may not true). He's cleared that up. He doesn't use samples. Quote:Besides, from what I can hear commercial hiphop still has plenty of samples in it...and Taxi listing parties are obviously concerned about this since rap/hiphop listings often specify that no uncleared samples will be accepted.Just do a search for "uncleared" or "samples" in the Taxi listings and you'll see what I mean. AndreWell, I'm not hearing the same thing. Samples are still there in commercial hip hop but it really is less of the case than with underground hip hop which pretty much thrives on it. Having cleared samples is important, but I knew from listening to his tracks that he wasn't using any.Probably won't be doing any searches anytime soon since my decision to become a member has been retracted. Long story. God bless.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

michaello3259

Post by michaello3259 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:22 pm

wuz good. I to do hip/hop most mix tapes use others music. I get what both sides are saying. I feel that if you are a professional you already have all that cleared. I use my own beats that are made for me personally. I to am wondering have there been any success stories dealing with hip/hop, or rap? Well for those of you don't know me I'm new also to taxi. i am seventeen and have been doing this since I was eight so I hope this lands me a deal. Well you can check me out on my space @ www.myspace.com/youngmacmusic If you like hit me up let me know if not still hit me up with comments and suggestions here in the boards.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 am

Quote:Anybody had success in Hip-hop? Production wise... Do companies normally require all the sounds sent to them on different tracks? Or do they just accept your 2-track master?I'm new so please be patient with me as I may ask many questions. I really want to be successful in my ventures and not waste time or money if I don't have to.hi, I have hiphop & rnb track on a couple of mtv-shows and also have signed a library-deal with a hiphop track through taxi.for this purpose (tv/mulitmedia use) you just need to deliver the finished master - some parties require to send a "clean" version (without the f-word etc) as well as an instrumental. I never needed to send single tracks - though this relates from the use of course.I remember some taxi-listings that asked for stems, so it is possible - but again: it depends for what the track is being used.
production, composition & stringed instruments

michaello3259

Post by michaello3259 » Thu May 03, 2007 10:52 pm

thats cool. maybe we all can get somewhere oneday. Just believe in yourself. Strive for what you want and work hard.

mjlovesmj

Post by mjlovesmj » Sun May 06, 2007 4:41 pm

This is a lot of great info here with regards to Hip Hop. There's so many different rules that apply in today's industry, it's hard to know from the get-go what route one should take. Thanks for the heads-up everyone.