To Join Taxi with strings.....

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chippyo

To Join Taxi with strings.....

Post by chippyo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:31 pm

hey all, I am warming up to this taxi service with each passing week & yet I am still lery. It has to do with my songs and the genre I would be submitting to. Most of my stuff is Blues or roots oriented, not the usual cliched I IV V stuff but tradtional with a modern twist. From what I have seen of the listings it appears to be mostly for Hip -hop/electronic instrumentals or modern rock. I think with only 2 CDs of 26 tunes I am to niched out to benefit. Anybody in the same boat? Thanks you for any input or comment. jday

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: To Join Taxi with strings.....

Post by gitarrero » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:22 am

there are a few listings specifically for blues (one was around x-mas 2006).anyhow, my experience is: almost whatever music you're doing, it's possible to find a use for it (library, prod. music company..) IF the music is great.if you're able to produce by yourself (homestudio), why not expand your styles a little bit? do some rocky stuff, etc.
production, composition & stringed instruments

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:11 am

Hi,I have seen some blues listings (there's a couple in there right now, they are looking for artists with a fan base). As the previous poster mentioned, there are also opportunities in Film/Video and Rock as well. I am an instrumental composer but I check most of the other categories every 2 weeks just in case something up my alley creeps in.I recommend thinking outside the box a bit as well. For instance: can your songs be re-mixed as instrumentals? Can they be edited to 30 second or 60 second versions with strong endings (good for TV). Could they be re-mixed as electronica (maybe a producer from the forum here would collaborate on you with this)? There may be more potential in your catalog than you think there is.If you don't want to mess with your music like I suggested then your options will be more limited but not non-existent. My suggestions are meant to help target your music to a wider variety of potential uses via TAXI, which isn't the only game in town but has helped a lot of people get deals who may have otherwise never considered other uses for their music.Good luck with your decision and with your music. John Mazzei
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

chippyo

Post by chippyo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Hey now! Thanks for the input, I was hoping that my jump blues tunes would get beyound the usual BBQ or southern movie, I mean if they want that they might as well mine the 'old masters' catalog of Muddy, lil Walter etc. Half of them are in public domain or ripped off anyway, producers could save a buck. I like the instrumental remixes (mazzai suggested) maybe play the vocal medley on another instrument. One thing I will not do is hip-hop & classic rock. I guess being the big fish in a samll pond is better. At 45YO I feel silly writing rock teenage angst tunes & such. (although they have a place too) Has anyone at all placed a blues tune on this board? It still seems like britney pop & hip hop for the current tastes. Mr. Curious.PS. If anyone has oodles of freetime I have 3 tunes up on the audio portion of our band web site: www.jameswday.comThanks for the comments everyone...it's looking like a no-go for taxi until I get a bigger catalog.

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:03 pm

There are plenty of electronic opportunities... it's not all hip hop and pop