Return on War Drums listing

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Return on War Drums listing

Post by shanegrla » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies. I guess I'll quit worrying about it and just chock this one up to "move along, nothin' to see here" and go on with the next one.

Write, submit, forget. . .
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

RogerG
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RogerG » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Hey,

I got the exact same return. :( Just the recording box checked, nothing else (I don't really hear anything that stands out to me with yours either but I'm not the most qualified for technical issues which is what you'd think the recording box checked would mean)

Mine is called "On the March" and can be heard here:

http://www.taxi.com/rogergilpin

I'm not quite sure what the issue was on mine either. When I listen to others, they do have more changes but wouldn't that be music then? I'm also wondering about effects (too much slapback perhaps?), overall volume, the samples themselves, etc. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. - Roger Gilpin

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 pm

RogerG wrote:I'm also wondering about effects (too much slapback perhaps?)
Hi Roger,
Thanks for listening. My only thought on yours is that yeah maybe that slapback made it sound a little too techy or something. Maybe they were looking for something a little more natural sounding. Other than that, I thought the recording quality sounded excellent, so I don't know.

After listening to some of the other forwards and returns, many of the forwards sounded of course excellent. And yes I noticed a lot of them had more changes in them. But one thing that also perplexed me is that they sounded overall smaller than I expected. They said they wanted it to sound like 500 drummers playing etc., and some of these sounded more like a small tribe.

And also, some of them didn't sound particularly war-like either -- more like a smaller rain dance or something. I expect war drums to be much louder and aggressive and sound like they're on the warpath. Kinda like the orcs in Moria (Lord of the Rings).

So who knows.
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Shane, I also believe they're after more LOTR styled rumblings. I guess someone will find out.

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm not so sure actually. Some of the other rejects that I heard sounded pretty big and massive to me, yet still didn't make the cut.

And then some did. I really can't tell any rhyme or reason why some are making it and some are not.
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, the screeners interpret the listings as much as we do. I think that's fairly clear after listening to so many forwards and returns.

RogerG
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RogerG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I knew I might have been taking a risk with the slap back. Oh well. I remember playing in marching bands (a very long time ago admittedly) and marching in parades etc (I played trumpet back then not drums though). The drums would kick back constantly off of buildings, the street, whatever. So that was the effect I was trying to recreate unsuccessfully as obviously I was trying for a big, loud sound. But I guess that would be live wouldn't it? That sound probably isn't desirable if you can prevent it. So lesson learned.

Anyway I honestly can say the "500 drummers" line probably changed how I approached this to start with. I definitely can't really put my finger on what separated forwards from the non as I hear big and small drums all over the place.

Ah well, write, submit, forget and repeat like you said. Gonna go annoy our cats now (who are trying to sleep of course, they're cats... :lol: ) - Roger