My First Contract

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My First Contract

Post by edteja » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:17 am

Andre,It doesn't sound like anyone is the bad guy in this (only Dave's jokes... ) -- you are trying to accomplish what seems to me as a worthwhile objective, but Matt and others are not comfortable with doing what it takes to make that happen. They perceive risk where you don't. Not having contracts to share or fear sharing (sigh), that is the only opinion on the matter that I would deign to offer, and add that this discussion has been enlightening in some respects despite ending in an agreement to disagree. I thank you for wanting to create that kind of forum.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:33 am

Quote:Andre,It doesn't sound like anyone is the bad guy in this (only Dave's jokes... ) -- you are trying to accomplish what seems to me as a worthwhile objective, but Matt and others are not comfortable with doing what it takes to make that happen. Andre ,I agree with Ed, I definitely don't think you come off as the bad guy here, nor was it anybody's intent (certainly not mine) to make you look like one. I'm simply explaining why I wouldn't be able to participate in the posting and sharing of contracts, and pointing out the (perceived) downsides of doing so (as you requested in your first post ).

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:54 am

Quote:Andre,It doesn't sound like anyone is the bad guy in this (only Dave's jokes... )Quote:Andre ,I agree with Ed, I definitely don't think you come off as the bad guy here, nor was it anybody's intent (certainly not mine) to make you look like one.Quote:Now, no harm was meant toward you, it was just meant for a good!Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit harsh!?Thanks everyone; my mind must've been playing tricks on me (again ).I appreciate all your points of view and encourage you to continue being frank with them...but stop calling me Shirley. Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:31 am

Quote:Well there are plenty books out there where all the information is available!My recommendations would be these books:<Snip...>Thanks for the book list gunter. It's nice to see what everyone is reading. I spend as much time reading books on music business/promotion as well as mixing/engineering/orchestration as anything else. Also, there are a few good books on music publishing...I just finished a few from Berklee Press that seem pretty good at explaining things.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:18 pm

Just an FYI; I received an email response from Jimi at Taxi stating that posting contracts on this forum is acceptable as long as they're not copyrighted and no company names are mentioned.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

paradigm

Post by paradigm » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:16 am

O no, I hope I didnt set anything off by posting the thread I did. Im gonna delete it.

billy

Post by billy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:18 pm

I'm a fairly new Taxi member, and was just checking out the boards. My wife is an attorney and handles my stuff. If you're interested in a referral to her, email me at stuffineed@gmail.com.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:48 am

Andre,Your idea seems great to me. But I am a virgin in these matters. I guess it depends on what Taxi says. I personally do not see any violation of trust. The last thing Matto said, though, was cause for pause. A total stranger might read the post, recognize the contract and divulge the company name. That is about the only red flag I see out of all the arguments.