Been in Biz for 30 years. Dissapointed in Taxi.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Been in Biz for 30 years. Dissapointed in Taxi.

Post by NealF » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:16 am

I was one of the partners in a very successful music production company. We did hundreds of spots including, CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, Coke, Disney, NBC, VH-1, etc.

One thing I've seen is that in at least 50% of the cases, the client doesn't know what they want, or buys something very different than what they were asking for. One classic example was doing demos for the show, Extra. They said they DO NOT WANT the words "extra" sung and NO sax. They ended up with exactly what they said they didn't want and we lost the job. What I learned over the years is that the most important thing is doing a great piece of music FIRST. We usually would send a demo exactly the way they asked for it, and another one or two with what we thought they should have. As I said, 50% of the time they took what we thought they should have.

My point is not that Taxi's screening is a bad idea. I understand the need and think it does keep the lemons to a minimum. But after having 15 songs turned down I've got to say, "TAXI, Lighten up!" The restrictions are way too tight. I can't imagine how many great pieces of music are getting stopped before they have a fair chance. What's more important? A great song, or a song that follows the AABA format of "most" pop songs. Format doesn't mean anything except for learning and analyzing. Once you know how to compose, you throw the format out!

After 30 years in a very successful company, I know something about clients and what they say and what they mean. Taxi's a great idea and no doubt some people are having success with it. But I'm not going to send in any more songs for the above reason.

www.TheRealNealFox.com
Last edited by NealF on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ellwood
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Been in Biz for 30 years. Dissapointed in Taxi.

Post by Ellwood » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

This is something to ponder! and just might have some validity!

ShadowaterMusic
Active
Active

Post by ShadowaterMusic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 am

If TAXI didn't act as a (good) filter, those needing music wouldn't turn to them in the first place/would stop after realizing TAXI could only deliver what they ASKED for, not what they WANTED.

Plus, many of the listings here are from people who get paid to match the right piece of music to video. I'm thinking the music supervisor/library listings aren't confused about what tracks they need.

That being said, it makes sense for someone with 30 years of experience in the business to be well beyond needing what TAXI offers.
Image Image Image Image

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 am

Didn't say it was a bad idea. Just needs to loosen up a bit.

And as far as my not needing Taxi, just thought it was a good idea to get a few jobs here and there and not have to "open a shop". Got out of the biz 8 years ago.

Ellwood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ellwood » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 pm

I assume Michael did not get this far and this successful by NOT listening to ideas people have (especially people that have lots of experience in the business) SO, in this case perhaps he will take these concerns into account and make some small changes in policy? all good businessmen are good listeners and show flexibility.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:13 pm

NealF wrote:But after having 15 songs turned down I've got to say, "TAXI, Lighten up!"
Well, that's one approach. Another approach that's worked fairly well is to find out why *other* people got forwards, to listen to their music and to work on our music, to work towards the goal of making it through like they did. After all, it was loose enough for them to get through. ;)

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Of course. And that is what I do. But I think you're missing my point about how often things got sold that were not exactly what they asked for. I'm sure many good pieces are being turned down that were really close.

I could be wrong, but I can only relate it to my experience with the networks and ad agencies.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Neal, I think some of what you are saying might be addressed in the Taxi 2.0, or it sounds like it from the tidbits awhile back that Michael spoke about on one of the ustream broadcasts. I think your premise is so true in life itself. I don't know very many people who have ever went shopping for something specific and not come back with something totally different or spending more than they planned. :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:18 pm

True.

I'll have to see what Taxi 2.0 is. First I've heard of it.

Thanks.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Neal
If you are currently successful (e.g. recent placements over last 2-3 years) getting your music in film/TV outside of Taxi, no reason to change a thing. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe Taxi isn't what works best for YOU. Taxi works for many folks (tons of success stories) but not every tool is a fit for every musician.

Inherent in Taxi's business model is screening for a very tight match between the client's listing requirements (yes, as stated by them) and the submissions. Clients keep coming back to Taxi because of the value-add in that screening. I do 'get it' that sometimes "buyers are liars" as to what they want, but this is what has made Taxi successful since they started in the 90's.

It's up to you as to whether you want to adjust the music you submit to more closely match the listings or pitch outside of Taxi and see if that is working well enough for you.

BTW, can you give us an example of a listing you submitted to (the full text), the track you submitted, and the reason for return from Taxi? If it was an "S" listing with a full review, it would be great if you could post the entire review.

Best,
:) Casey