Mr. Dave: Taxi placement!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Mr. Dave: Taxi placement!

Post by davewalton » Wed May 31, 2006 2:25 pm

Hello,I know everyone will die when I tell you this, but I was forwarded and placed for the following listing:Quote:The Music Supervisor for a popular daytime talk show [which airs primetime specials as well] needs to hire a couple new INSTRUMENTAL COMPOSERS as soon as possible. He hired 6-8 TAXI writers/composers in 2005 and the the situation has worked out quite nicely -- they've had over 200 placements on this show in the last year. But now the music demands are at such a level where he needs more talent under his roof. He needs someone who can write Happy, Sad, Mysterious, and Suspenseful instrumentals as background music for the show's stories, profiles, and vignettes. It gets a little complicated but my new arrangement is with a management company that represents the above-mentioned composers and acts as the conduit between all of us and Harpo Productions, Oprah Winfrey's production company. Pretty cool, huh? The most interesting twist of this little turn of events is that our own "Matto" has been one of those "6 to 8 Taxi composers" the listing mentioned. Did anyone else know this? Nobody tells me anything around here. So anyway, the way I understand it, I get forwarded and was being seriously considered. When my name comes up, Matto says "Hey! I know that guy... he's a jerk!" No, that's not what he said. I don't know exactly what he said but what he did do, was to provide a recommendation for me as a musician and as a person based on my simple participation here on these boards. How amazing is that? Between the forward and Matto's kind words, I received an email, contract, and phone call on May 24th, one day after my birthday. I would have said something sooner but I wanted some time to go by to make sure that I wasn't on a bizarre episode of Twilight Zone or some kind of extended version of Punk'd.I'll provide some more updates on this as things progress. Just to give everyone an idea of how quickly this went though, I'm already working on and turning in music (everybody is working on themes for an upcoming Oprah special).Now, don't worry about this going to my head. I'm still the same guy. My new butler dresses me in my Jos. A Bank Gabardine Pleated Trousers one leg at a time... just like everyone else! THANKS TAXI!!!Dave

jeffchurchwell
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Mr. Dave: Taxi placement!

Post by jeffchurchwell » Wed May 31, 2006 4:04 pm

Dave,That is TOO COOL for words! As a Chicagoan, I kinda take Oprah and HARPO for granted, but Oprah is a major media player, and you (and Matto) are fortunate to be working for her. Congratulations!Any way you can post samples somewhere (without violating any licensing agreements) so those of us who can't tune in can hear 'em?Woo hoo for you!Jeff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Wed May 31, 2006 4:19 pm

Awesome! Congratulations on this exciting news, Dave. Can I tell my friends I kind of know you? Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Wow!!! Congrats Dave!!!!! I knew Matto was workin on some cues for the Harpo show --- they must of been quite impressed with your work to take you on board too. Kudos to you! And very nice of Matt as well!luvVikki
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:20 am

Fantastic, Dave! I always knew you'd come to no good sooner or later. Don't worry, we will remember you even when you are rich and famous. We can sit around the campfire and sigh: "He was one of us once...."Seriously, run with it and have a great time.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:56 am

MEGA congrats Dave!!You totally rock!! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy (well, except maybe me, )...Seriously, this goes to show that if you combine talent, perseverance and good networking/people skills, things can happen. And Dave, don't forget me when your book about your rise to fame is being pitched on Oprah... Best of luck!Casey

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:36 am

Congrats Dave. Hey, could you tell Opra that a guy you met on-line has just finished a screen play about his grandmothers death bed revelation that he has a great x5 black grandfather? I would gladly write her (Opra) in bc

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:33 pm

Dave,That's a great opportunity. Glad it worked out for you. Keep us posted. Big congratsNomi

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:27 am

Dave,You have some seriously nice music on your web site...congratulations and best of luck - you deserve it!--doug

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:48 am

Quote:Dave,You have some seriously nice music on your web site...congratulations and best of luck - you deserve it!--dougHi Doug,Thanks for the nice comments. I listened to your music as well. Very nice, especially the Irish stuff. BTW, you might want to double-check some of the links. For example, the 60-second and 30-second links on "Wherever You Go" wouldn't work. I couldn't get the "Metal On Metal" to work either.Anyway, thanks for the nice comments and welcome to the Taxi boards. I think your music would do very well in the Taxi environment.Dave