How many "forwards" are normal?

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

epister

How many "forwards" are normal?

Post by epister » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:21 am

Hi there. My name is Eliot Pister, and I've been a Taxi member for just over a year. During that time, I've had 7 forwards - mostly for pop listings - and haven't had a bite yet. I'm not sure if I should be excited (which I was initially) about getting forwarded at all, or if getting a song forwarded is actually more common than I thought. Are there other members out there that regularily get their songs forwarded to the record/publishing company, but don't hear a thing after that? I wonder what the "forward -> contract" ratio is? 2:1? 5:1? 100:1? 1000:1?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How many "forwards" are normal?

Post by matto » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:56 am

Eliot,It's very common to get forwarded and not contacted. Happens to everybody. In my first year as a Taxi member I had pleny of forwards, but no contacts either. You should definitely be excited about every single forward! As to how common forwards are, that depends to a large degree on where "the bar" is set on a given listing.I don't think there is a "standard" forward:contact ratio. I'd say it depends somewhat on the type of listings you're submitting to (artist deal, song deal, film/tv, music libraries). Artist deals probably have the worst ratio, since most labels sign only very few artists in a given year.It's a tough business and it takes an unbelievable amount of perseverance to succeed, but if you're getting a nice amount of forwards, you're off to a auspicious start!Good luck to you!matto

happy
Active
Active

Post by happy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:14 pm

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed....I got my first forward today for a former American Idol contestant. They wanted melodies to show off vocal talent so we sent in 3 and got 1 forward. If we don't hear anything in 2 or 3 months does that mean the record company will not be using our song?
Di

songhouse

Post by songhouse » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 am

Well, I just got my first deal after 50 forwards or so.... All I can say is keep at it, and thanks Matt (matto) for the encouragement you've offered me & so many others...--Michael Logozarhttp://www.MichaelLogozar.com

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:43 am

Quote:Well, I just got my first deal after 50 forwards or so.... All I can say is keep at it, and thanks Matt (matto) for the encouragement you've offered me & so many others...Congratulations Michael!! This is excellent news...and you're welcome!

glitch

Post by glitch » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:26 am

I've been told that taxi makes up fake listings sometimes to make money off of submissions. I'm not saying that I believe this because I myself am a taxi member for 2 weeks now and I am currently waiting for my first forward but the fact that a few friends has told me this makes me wonder about it sometimes. so what do you guys think?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:39 am

Quote:I've been told that taxi makes up fake listings sometimes to make money off of submissions. I'm not saying that I believe this because I myself am a taxi member for 2 weeks now and I am currently waiting for my first forward but the fact that a few friends has told me this makes me wonder about it sometimes. so what do you guys think?Glitch,this preposterous idea was brought up on another thread a little while ago, you can read the responses there (scroll about halfway down):http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 70&page=1I think you need to get yourself some better friends... matto

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:21 pm

..I agree... Taxi would not be in business for very long if they did that. In plain words, that's called FRAUD and it's a criminal offence. As I said in the other thread, I'm also a member of two other tip sheets and I see the a few same listings posted on 2 or 3. Your music does have to be extraodinary to make the grade - and you hear a lot of complaints about forwards not being easy to get. IMO it's easier to blame the messenger (Taxi) than acknowledge you have a lot of hard work to do if you expect to break into the commerical market.H'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

happy
Active
Active

Post by happy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:42 am

Hummingbird, have you had any luck with the other tip sheet companies? I only use TAXI and wasn't aware others have started the same service.
Di

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:46 am

there's lots of people who'll be willing to take your money for this kind of service, and there's song pluggers, etc. I joined Taxi because it was recommented by Ralph Murphy & John Braheny; I joined Songlink Int because it was recommended by John Capek. With Songlink I do the 'forwarding' - submissions go directly to the source. Out of 7 submissions I've had two positive replies stating interest - but no deals yet. Industry Resource tells me when my material has been reviewed by the listing... and then I sit & wait. No deals yet, out of 3 submissions.Bear in mind these all cost money, and I don't know if I'll renew. Just thought I'd test out throwing mud at more than one wall
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website