First Bites

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

First Bites

Post by roughly » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:33 pm

Yippee!!! Finally got a couple of library deals! One for a couple songs and one for writing loops. Still have to sign the contracts (and one isn't as good as we'd like), but we'll take about anything at this point. Just when we were really starting to give up hope, these came in and have made spring so much sweeter -Theresa

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: First Bites

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Quote:Yippee!!! Finally got a couple of library deals! One for a couple songs and one for writing loops. Still have to sign the contracts (and one isn't as good as we'd like), but we'll take about anything at this point. Just when we were really starting to give up hope, these came in and have made spring so much sweeter -TheresaWay to go Theresa!! Casey

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Congratulations. Good to hear.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:12 am

Wonderful, Theresa.I know what you mean about being open to almost any deal. I think most of us who don't have contracts yet feel. Be cautious though, then proceed with abandon! And enjoy your success.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Thanks guys! I guess I should also ask if any of you have had any experience with xxx. They keep 100 of publishing, we only get 25% of license fees and no reversion clause. I will try and negotiate for a bit more, but since it's our first one not sure how much we can get.-Theresa

paradigm

Post by paradigm » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:33 am

25% seems low IMO,50% is the standard

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:19 am

TheresaJust wanted to make sure there is no confusion as to your reading the contract. Sometimes people get 50% and 25% confused because royalties are split 50/50 between writer and publisher. 50% of publisher's share = 25% of total royalties50% of songwriter's share = 25% of total royaltiesIf you'd like to email me the contract (not for legal advice), please PM me...Best regardsCasey

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:04 am

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm pretty sure I'm reading it correctly but would love for you to take a look at it too Casey just to make sure. I also had a music lawyer friend of mine look over it and everyone seems to be agreeing as to what it says and what I should ask for. Seems like a good contract to get my feet wet with and decide on how to proceed and negotiate. -Theresa